Holme Moss Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calum

Thanks for the offer, Colly!
Here's hoping that you're not a crazy person, with a shotgun that enjoys hunting down southern students, that are far away from home!
Seriously, if you're driving over from Leeds, i'd be most gratefull of a lift to the start of the loop. I was planning on getting the train, but if you're going that way anyway, then great!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Holmfirth cuts off 15 miles pre-ride for me. I don't really mind too much though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
longers said:
Or we could start at Holmfirth if that makes it easier for people. Us from this side could meet there very easily.

Both ways up Holme Moss..... cheers dude :wacko: !! Deffo going to have to change from a 21 rear sprocket......

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Both ways up Holme Moss..... cheers dude :biggrin: !!

Don't be daft :wacko:

Meet at the Royal George in Greenfield to go up past Dovestones and then to Holmfirth that way.

I think I like the idea of a Holmfirth start. We'd be nice and warmed up by then :laugh:.

trio25

Über Member
Homlmefirth is a long old ride for me, I'll be ready to come home then.

Chris James

Über Member
That's the difficulty of having people ride from both sides of the Pennines (never the twain?).

I am still not sure if I will be able to make it, although am hopeful. Also, I am chronically unfit as I haven't been out on my bike for weeks due to a combination of colds, sinusitis and my youngest lad having a stay in hospital (hopefully he is better now)

But to be honest, I can't see much value in me riding 21 miles from my house over to Greenfield to promptly turn round and cycle most of the way home again. Also, given my current fitness I'd probably be knackered!

If I do manage to come along I think I'll join you all in Holmfirth. I am happy to do the return leg over Saddleworth on my own (or with Marin York)

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Chris James said:
That's the difficulty of having people ride from both sides of the Pennines (never the twain?).

Got it in a nutshell. That's why I reckon two starts could be beneficial.

How about this?

First start:

Royal George, Greenfield. Junction of A635/B6175 - Well-I-Hole Rd/Manchester Rd. There's a good layby if anyone needed to park a car. 9.00am depart?

Second Start:

Cattle Market in Holmfirth. On the Woodhead Rd A6024. 10am depart?

The proposed cafe is about a mile before the first start so every one gets a brew and people can say cheerio or go up the hill to Holmfirth for the first or second time.

Sound reasonable?

marinyork

So. Some people are meeting up in Greenfield and doing a clockwise loop around your original map longers and meeting up with wave 2 of people at Holmfirth, carrying on with the loop? So some people will be doing a loop from Greenfield, some a holmfirth to holmfirth loop and other peeling off/joining at times in between. Have I got that right?

colly

Re member eR
marinyork said:
So. Some people are meeting up in Greenfield and doing a clockwise loop around your original map longers and meeting up with wave 2 of people at Holmfirth, carrying on with the loop? So some people will be doing a loop from Greenfield, some a holmfirth to holmfirth loop and other peeling off/joining at times in between. Have I got that right?

Errr?

marinyork

Basically some people are meeting up at Greenfield and some people are meeting up at Holmfirth, riding up holme moss and then continuing on/peeling off.

I'm just checking for the practicalities and training for it. If I'm doing a loop and getting to greenfield and back that's about 85 miles, if I do a half loop and peel off and go back from Glossop along the snake that is about 69 miles but includes back to back climbs with a 10 miles recovery period. Also wondered who was doing what as I tend to pace better riding with other people.

Top Bottom