Home and Away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Wow
When I was young lad I would come home after a cold grim day out, at working on a windswept farm rebuilding dry stone walls in some desolate field up in the mountains armed with nothing but a pack of sandwiches and a flask of tea.You would not see a soul all day to talk to, and in the depths of winter there was nowhere to take shelter when the weather turned nasty. I was only a young guy back then, and full of optimism I would just ride it out.
Once home I would take time to warm up by the fire and watch some new fangled TV soaps such as Home and Away looking at how the other half live in Australia. Looking at the sunny settings and amazing scenery and the lame story lines for half an hour soon made me forget about the cold day I had just had.
Obviously it was just fantasy, but it was a nice sense of escapism after a rough day.
I've noticed there rerunning these old episodes again on Freeview and boy does it make me feel old watching them.The characters I once thought where old now look young and youthful compared to me..
I was quite into my Aussie TV programs at the time, I think it was more curiosity than anything else.At the time we were saturated with American TV shows and I felt the stuff coming from Australia was new and interesting.The Paul Hogan show, Prisoner cell block H, they were truly awful but I watched them all the same.
I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm watching the rerun's again and strangely enjoying them too 🤓

classic33

Leg End Member
Prisoner Cell Block H became Wentworth. And you can still catch the original on telly.

Wasn't there talk of Neighbours coming back to the UK TV screens this year?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I also like looking up these places on Google maps.I found where home and away was filmed and do a street view along the famous areas.Ramsey street in Neighbours is another one to look up.Going off topic Back to the Future I found Marty McFly's home on street view and it's still got the pylon behind the house.Others that I've looked up were the hotel in scarface.Just down the road if you use Street view you find the hotel used in pulp fiction

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Home and Away, It's being aired on Now that's TV 2.
In all honesty if you've never watched it you'll find it quite cringey.Im just watching it for nostalgic reasons 🤣

stephec

Legendary Member
I wonder when Noel's House Party will make a comeback....

Saturday night TV's bad enough already.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I remember when Alex Cox, probably in the Moviedrome programme, showed a series of cult Australian films which were really good. I was still at my parents then, would have been at least 40 years ago now.

I also like looking up these places on Google maps.I found where home and away was filmed and do a street view along the famous areas.Ramsey street in Neighbours is another one to look up.Going off topic Back to the Future I found Marty McFly's home on street view and it's still got the pylon behind the house.Others that I've looked up were the hotel in scarface.Just down the road if you use Street view you find the hotel used in pulp fiction

We live about 1km from "Ramsay St" - not it's real name.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The former Mrs Accy used to watch Home and Away when we first met in 1990. I wonder if she still watches it. 🤔She also watched Prisoner Cell Block H. Then I got into it, then my mum got into it. I remember us setting our video tapes to watch it later in the week, if we were out when it was on. I remember the former Mrs Accy watching the updated Prisoner Cell Block H about 10 years ago. It was a bit more explicit than the old one, but I'd left it behind by then and only saw it out the corner of my eye as I read a newspaper, or stared into space.

Top Bottom