Home brew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

Anyone got any experience with home brewing? I'm toying with the idea of making my own cider, but not really sure where to start.

BigAl68

Über Member
I have a few mates who make cider. The difficult part is pressing the juice. Plenty of guides on how to make a home made press if you Google it. They bought an old press at a farm auction last year and it made things a lot easier.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

I have a few mates who make cider. The difficult part is pressing the juice. Plenty of guides on how to make a home made press if you Google it. They bought an old press at a farm auction last year and it made things a lot easier.
I'm guessing that's better than using the "kits"?

PK99

Legendary Member

i used to make apple wine, the tick was to freeze the apples first, defrost and whiz in magimix

BigAl68

Über Member
My mates tried the kits but the results from pulping then pressing the apples give you much better cider. Their first press involved a car jack, some wood and a blue plastic box. Worked perfectly well.

Do you have access to lots of free apples?

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

My mates tried the kits but the results from pulping then pressing the apples give you much better cider. Their first press involved a car jack, some wood and a blue plastic box. Worked perfectly well.

Do you have access to lots of free apples?

Actually I do, although I have no idea what breed of apple. They taste like cack and give you the runs if you eat them though, well that's what my parents always told me.

U

User169

Cut out the apples! You just combine supermarket apple juice (or some other fruit juice), sugar and yeast and, hey presto, an instant hang-over a couple of weeks later!

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm only a couple of yrs into the hobby, but my impression it's not that easy to make something that tastes like cider quickly. 'turbo cider' from supermarket apple juice is really easy to make - supermarket juice and a few other bits - google it - but needs aging weeks or months to taste like real cider. I've had a go a couple of times and the drink it makes went down easy enough, but didn't really taste like 'cider'. Just give it a go, it costs hardly anything.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I would love to know how easy / hard it is to make my own booze. Would certainly save my wife having to take the gazillion bottles to the bottle bank each month.

Top Bottom