Home Brewing round 2?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Not a bad idea using the 2l bottles.

We've got reusable plastic pint bottles and to be fair the don't look much different to what you buy drinks in at the shop..

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Not a bad idea using the 2l bottles.

We've got reusable plastic pint bottles and to be fair the don't look much different to what you buy drinks in at the shop..
I only used lemonade though - all other ‘pops’ tainted the bottles

NeverFromConcentrate

The best advice I ever received was to find a home brew club, and join it.
I learned so much from others, tried each other’s beers and got into proper all grain brewing.
That’s when it really started tasting nice.
Good ingredients, the right equipment, and never stop keeping things spotless and you won’t go far wrong.
Also not doing it in the kitchen made for a better experience ;-)

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Not a bad idea to join a club, will have a look.

Kitchen only at the moment unfortunately!. We normally brew and bottle on a Sunday.

Willd

Veteran
Newcastle Rugby Brown Ale is go :okay:

DSC00003.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Years ago I did some beer kits and made some homebrew cider, but when I married, we started fruit wines, like my Dad used to make.
There is a much longer wait time for drinking, typically 12 months; some is 24 months, but it's worth it. Last year we put 140 bottles of apple wine and around 40 bottles of pear wine and some rhubard, under the floor.
Looking forward to tasting 2018's crop. We also have retained a selection of previous crops of apple, pear, blackcurrant, blueberry, rhubarb and parsley, for occasion drinks.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This might be a blasphemous thing to suggest but has anyone tried using The Pinter?
I like the look of it, attractive design and clever.

The Pinter™ is a world-first innovation that allows you to make 10 pints of brewery fresh beer that’s affordable, sustainable and tastes incredible - all from the comfort of home.

The Pinter is at the apex of a marriage between the very best brewing practices and pioneering technology. By adding water and yeast to the natural Fresh Presses the Pinter's unique technology works delivering a fermentation process in line with quality craft brewing.

Innovation at every level; the Pinter creates and retains its own CO2 which after cooling in the fridge, aids the conditioning process to deliver 10 pints of unparalleled quality Fresh Beer.

View: https://youtu.be/QsjKiU3VFkA

stephec

Legendary Member
This might be a blasphemous thing to suggest but has anyone tried using The Pinter?

The Pinter™ is a world-first innovation that allows you to make 10 pints of brewery fresh beer that’s affordable, sustainable and tastes incredible - all from the comfort of home.

The Pinter is at the apex of a marriage between the very best brewing practices and pioneering technology. By adding water and yeast to the natural Fresh Presses the Pinter's unique technology works delivering a fermentation process in line with quality craft brewing.

Innovation at every level; the Pinter creates and retains its own CO2 which after cooling in the fridge, aids the conditioning process to deliver 10 pints of unparalleled quality Fresh Beer.

It looks very tempting, having made enough home brew in the past though I'd like to have a taste before committing, beer in a week just sounds too good to be true.

bitsandbobs

Über Member

Nespresso for beer!

Not really sure what the target market is. Won't be of interest to homebrewers because you're limited to their flavour packs. The beer geeks won't go anywhere near it as the beer probably won't be that great. Having said that their kickstarter seems to have been reasonably successful. I suspect this may be one of those kitchen gadgets that gets used three or four times and then goes to the back of a cupboard.

They say it's all about freshness, but it's not that difficult to get fresh beer. I get cans (the superior packaging option these days) from a local brewery within a day or two of canning. This weekend I've been drinking cans from Cloudwater which were six weeks old and I don't live in the UK.

There is/was a company in the US called Picobrew that produced a similar "desktop" sized beer machine. To my mind, it was superior to the Pinter in that recipes could be customized using real ingredients. Picobrew ran what was the most successful kickstarter ever at the time if I remember correctly. However, they went bankrupt last year and were acquired by new owners who have put up the assets for sale.

cambsno

Been thinking the same. Looks perfect for a no-nonsense brew. Downside is what if you dont like the packs?

Plus, while I like my canned Kolsch at £2.50 a can, I can get 3 500ml bottles of a very good Munich beer at Tesco for £5 - which is about £1.60 a pint (Pinter claim theirs works out at £1.30 but you need to buy the kit too)

Top Bottom