Home CCTV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
While Suffolk might well have a lower crime rate than the rest of the country our street appears to queer the curve. The amount of vandalism of vehicles down the street every Friday and Saturday night is frankly remarkable, we're fairly sure it's folk returning from the clubs.

Things have stepped up a gear and in the last week someone tried to nick my neighbour's gas pipe and there was what appeared to be an attempted break-in. This is a surprise because the local crime-map published in the local paper each week usually shows a ring of crime around our neighbourhood but none in it (might tell you something about my fellow neighbourhoodees).

In years gone by I've set up IP / Network cameras for clients who wanted to up their security (or just wanted to know if they needed to get out of bed when alarms started going off) so I know the basics. I even had motion detection cameras running in my shop when it was burgled twice in a week.

But this isn't something I've tinkered with for a while....

What I want is two very discreet cameras to mount under the eves of my house, or even sort of hidden behind the drainpipe. I have a fairly large network drive hidden in the house that can record footage if motion triggered between maybe 10pm and 7am each night. It would be nice to be able to give something useful to the police when they knock on our door asking if we've seen 'owt after each incident.

So what cameras are suitable? Budget for two cameras (or just to cover both views down the street, so maybe one wide angle) is realistically sub £100. Is this realistic?

Chris Swift

What I have done is mounted a wireless network camera to the inside of a security light that works and points at my shed.

Setup motion detection 24/7 roughly a month and a half recordings onto a 1tb hard drive.

The wireless network camera was just a cheap and cheerful 35 quid from amazon.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I just googled Wireless IP Camera with MOTION DETECTION and came up with

ip.jpg

Can't vouch for any of them, obviously...but several are black

Rather than be discreet surely you want a big sign saying "Security Cameras in operation - you are being recorded"

I have two motion sensors and an alarm box on my house (not of which are connected to anything) and they hopefully work still. Surely the aim is prevention as well as detection?

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Rather than be discreet surely you want a big sign saying "Security Cameras in operation - you are being recorded"

I have two motion sensors and an alarm box on my house (not of which are connected to anything) and they hopefully work still. Surely the aim is prevention as well as detection?

Nah, not on this street. I've probably already made countless enemies from when the police went door knocking after I reported the 115th bit of vandalism to my car.

Top Bottom