home from scotland options advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
hi
i have sorted a mini tour out for later in the year that sees me getting up to john o groats then leaves me 5 days to play around - in that time i am guessing i could get most places in scotland but i will run out of time and energy trying to get home to northants , the silly question this time is - how do i get home from where ever i am ? if i tried i could be carlisle but if i was lazy i could be any where . ive semi looked at train and semi looked at bike bus but think i found wrong site . really i dont care if its on the back of a pig wagon but ideally i would like it to be no changing once i got on as i already have a tendency to nod off without 10 days biking behind me - has anyone got a link to a bikebus or trains that go near kettering or any other options you can think of - thanks in advance

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

snorri

Legendary Member
I've never had any problem getting a train to England! Just ask at any mainline staffed railway station* when your required travel times become more clear. Fares can vary considerably, be prepared to be flexible with time of travel in order to get a cheaper ticket..

* Inverness, Fort William, Aberdeen, Perth, Dundee, Stirling, Glasgow, Edinburgh would be the more obvious ones.

Dundee, Edinburgh or Glasgow by Cross Country trains to Derby. Many Cross Country train managers don't bother with bike reservations. Then East Midlands trains to Kettering. Buy stage tickets it will be cheaper than through ticketing.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
thanks all for replies - i wanted to get on train and declare holiday over and relax - but looks like i have to change at derby then - the carlisle to kettering seems to stop at peterborough and change into a bus so down to derby and get one to wellingborough seems the way ( nearer than kettering ) so thank you for the advice

Top Bottom