Home made alternative to High5 Zero tablets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Following on from discussion about whey protein recovery shakes being something one can make at home, does anyone have a recipe for a decent hydration sports drink?

I like the High5 Zero drinks because I'm a bit of a fatty, but zero calorie doesn't have to be essential here.

Pre-emptive +1 for the first person who tells me just to drink water :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
Flat coke with some electrolytes, someone mentioned on another thread that Boots my sell something with electrolytes for mixing with liquid.

Electrolyte powder from myprotein.com. Put it in water. Not a great flavour but a cheap option. As concentrated as you like. Salt sticks from a pharmacy is another option. Take with water.:whistle:

swampyseifer

Aren't banana's good for electrolytes or something? I vote for banana milkshake!

I tried one of those energy drinks (lucozade type cheap ripoff) at the gym once...I felt no difference apart from my sweat stank really sweat and nasty! So whatever was in it was just coming back out again and not being absorbed!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I use High 5 Zero but also recently started mixing my own simple drink.

For a large 750ml water bottle, add 250ml cheap, generic orange juice, from a carton
Add a decent pinch of salt
Fill to the top with normal water

A few more calories (not many though, something like <100) but seems to hit the spot

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Aren't banana's good for electrolytes or something? I vote for banana milkshake!
Yes Potassium. My recovery shake usually includes: Milk - vanilla instant whey - 25g scoop dextrose - banana or two: Sometimes some oats.

Perfect!

I tried one of those energy drinks (lucozade type cheap ripoff) at the gym once...I felt no difference apart from my sweat stank really sweat and nasty! So whatever was in it was just coming back out again and not being absorbed!
Aye they do that.

zacklaws

Guru
I used to use the electrolyte powder from "Myprotein" but since I saw the ingredients and amounts what make up "Nuun" tablets, I make my own powder based on Nuun tablets, works out at about £10 for 600 tablets. Looking at the High Five zero ingredients, its very much similar but they do not give the amounts. All you need is a good set of scales, about £6, that measures grams and milligrams and your away.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I used to use the electrolyte powder from "Myprotein" but since I saw the ingredients and amounts what make up "Nuun" tablets, I make my own powder based on Nuun tablets, works out at about £10 for 600 tablets. Looking at the High Five zero ingredients, its very much similar but they do not give the amounts. All you need is a good set of scales, about £6, that measures grams and milligrams and your away.

Ooh, do you have the recipe?

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

zacklaws

Guru
Just do a search, Nuun tablet ingredients, all the info you need is there, look on ebay or search online for the best prices, Vitamin C is about the dearest item though, otherwise the rest of the ingredients are very basic, ie chalk and bath salts for example. You may not even need the Vitamin C, the only difference is, it might stop the fizz when you add it to water when it reacts with the chalk.

ushills

Veteran
Just do a search, Nuun tablet ingredients, all the info you need is there, look on ebay or search online for the best prices, Vitamin C is about the dearest item though, otherwise the rest of the ingredients are very basic, ie chalk and bath salts for example. You may not even need the Vitamin C, the only difference is, it might stop the fizz when you add it to water when it reacts with the chalk.

Bath salts?

redcard

Veteran

You're as well just giving him the recipe...

zacklaws

Guru
Bath salts?
Yep, "Bath salts", just walk into Supadrug and look for Bath Salts, usually called Epsom salts or Magnesium Sulfate, also another ingredient, Sodium Bicarbonate, more commonly called, baking soda which you can pick up in any foodstore. It soon becomes obvious why Nuun tablets and High Five Zero are a rip off. Ignore all the flavourings and preservatives etc and just get the main ingredients.

ushills

Veteran
Yep, "Bath salts", just walk into Supadrug and look for Bath Salts, usually called Epsom salts or Magnesium Sulfate, also another ingredient, Sodium Bicarbonate, more commonly called, baking soda which you can pick up in any foodstore. It soon becomes obvious why Nuun tablets and High Five Zero are a rip off. Ignore all the flavourings and preservatives etc and just get the main ingredients.

Liver salts or Epsom salts I can understand, I read bath salts and thought of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_salts_(drug)

Top Bottom