HOME MADE FIXIE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dingdongdead

im thinking of making my own.
got an old racing frame i used when i was a teenager, so granted its a bit small but it'll do for getting back to and from uni and pissing about in brighton

i want to keep prices down so component wise, i dont want it to be super fly, i just want it to be ok, pretty standard and nice and cheap and simple.

any recommendations on pricing for components of wheels etc or if anyone has anything they want to get rid of for a small price, comment here, or if theres any free stuff going about, hola at me tomboz2k at hotmail.com

and for those of you out there who have made their own, how easy to make, how long to make and how much did you spend?

many thanks
tom

George W B

Lots of great info on http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html
And speak to your local bike shop for confirmation and helpful ideas.
I have just started my second project......!!! So much still to learn.
So far I have spent £26(bike, wheel, 15speed sprocket, chain).
She is not beautiful YET:biggrin:. but operational..........sort of.

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

where do you get your stuff from and do you really care what the spec is? as in do you care about naff wheels etc?

George W B

For this bike which will be just a hack, not really.
It just depends what you want the bike for ? and if you want to constantly want to think if it is getting stolen........(I lost 2 bikes in a row)
This maybe a bit negative but better to plan a little !
I might upgrade the other parts later but for now a dura ace sprocket which I found on sale and a good quality chain (the bike a has deore crank so not great but ok for now) All the bearings I will refurb and I will look at repainting it and adding some better parts later. You can find plenty of good second hand parts to get started and still have a nice bike.
But I like old bikes....

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

like i said, i have an old racing frame i used when i was 13 but it'll be fine for now.
its for going to uni and back and getting around town (brighton)
so i guess parts wouldnt matter at the moment
you use ebay or second hand stores etc?

George W B

Is it only the frame ? or does it have a crank, wheels, handle bars etc ?
I have had more luck finding parts at second hand shops, markets and some times gumtree, so I can look more closely at the parts before buying.
Maybe post in the Wanted section of this site for parts needed as all here seem very helpful.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I built a fixed up cheap. Cost me just under £150 and that was with me having it painted.
Here it is:
Image073.jpg
[/IMG]
Got things cheap second hand from people in the bike club, had the back wheel built up.
System ex hub on a cxp33 rim.
Ask on here for some parts, get a back wheel done(might be able to find one on ebay)
You can build one up really really cheap.
My fixed has been taken apart not, as im getting a new frame and some other stuff. It used to be my hack back, that turned nice. Now with the new frame and other stuff, it will be really really nice:wacko:

Big John

Guru
All good advice about where to get second hand bits. Sheldon Brown's website is very useful too. You may get it done on the cheap but some bits may cost a few bob. Mine cost about £100 to put together and I had a good many of the parts before I even started. Was it worth it? Sure! You can't beat the feel of a fixed.
If there's one single piece of advice I'd give it's this - get the chainline right.

George W B

So How is the Bike going ? or not.........

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

so far, nothing...
i at uni at the moment, waiting to go back to dudley in three weeks to get my old racing bike and start the project...
ill document it on my flickr too probs.
watch this space maaaaan

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
dingdongdead said:
so far, nothing...
i at uni at the moment, waiting to go back to dudley in three weeks to get my old racing bike and start the project...
ill document it on my flickr too probs.
watch this space maaaaan

Ok duuuuuuuuude

Top Bottom