Home-made Hoummus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You can never have enough garlic, I find! :sad: It is truly the food of the gods. And I'm an atheist.

Can you keep your mouth closed when you're posting please :sad:

(whoo an owl just flew past my window)

Does your home made hoummus taste as good as the shop stuff? Mine always comes out a bit lacking.

Dave5N

Über Member
Back in my student days I had a few Arab mates - palestinians - who made the best hummus you could imagine. Never had anything like it since.

Happy days! The falafael was good too!

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Crackle said:
Can you keep your mouth closed when you're posting please :sad:

(whoo an owl just flew past my window)

Does your home made hoummus taste as good as the shop stuff? Mine always comes out a bit lacking.

First time I made it, and very pleased with it. I'll be reducing the number of garlic cloves next time as raw garlic has a bit of a kick to it, but other than that it turned out great.

(One benefit of the extra garlic is that the amount I ate was reduced for fear of being thrown out of the house)

Pete

Noodley said:
Perhaps 4 cloves of garlic was a bit much :biggrin::sad:
Yes. I've made exactly the same mistake. Garlic in a raw dish is very potent! We've given up making hoummous: too much trouble: bought stuff may be an inferior substitute but I can live with it.

One dish entirely composed of raw ingredients, including garlic, which I do make now and again, is guacamole. But there again, best to go really easy on the garlic. And the chillies! :biggrin:

longers said:
My attempt was really, really awful :sad:

It needs a good deal of whisking and the lemon and salt is critical. Three attempts so far and I've not been keen on any of them :biggrin:

Noodley said:
First time I made it, and very pleased with it. I'll be reducing the number of garlic cloves next time as raw garlic has a bit of a kick to it, but other than that it turned out great.

(One benefit of the extra garlic is that the amount I ate was reduced for fear of being thrown out of the house)

Right recipe then

Tahini paste, right?
Lemon?
Garlic, obviously
Salt
Chickpeas - soaked or tinned?

Anything else?

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Here's what I used:

Tin of chick peas
2 tablespoons of tahini
Juice of one squeezed lemon
4 garlic cloves
pinch of salt
"some" water

All thrown in a blender and whizzed. It was a bit of a strain to whizz it for starters and needed "some more" water and de-clogging the blades. Very very simple. And I doubt if I'll be buying shop stuff again.

Pete

Dave5N said:
Back in my student days I had a few Arab mates - palestinians - who made the best hummus you could imagine. Never had anything like it since.

Happy days! The falafael was good too!
I know this is a boast, but I think I do a fairly mean felaffel myself! Which is entirely home-made. To go with the bought hoummous :sad:.

Not wishing to fire up the old Israel-Palestine debate here, but I will state one observation, having had experience of both:
  • The Israelis are the world's worst cooks.
  • The Palestinians are among the world's best.

Pete

Noodley said:
Here's what I used:

Tin of chick peas
2 tablespoons of tahini
Juice of one squeezed lemon
4 garlic cloves
pinch of salt
"some" water

All thrown in a blender and whizzed. It was a bit of a strain to whizz it for starters and needed "some more" water and de-clogging the blades. Very very simple. And I doubt if I'll be buying shop stuff again.
Good. Best not done in the blender though - that was my mistake too. Use a food processor if available: you will find you get a better result with less need for water. Try adding a pinch of paprika to give it a better colour. You can save money and get better flavour with dried chick peas, but they will need an overnight soak and a lot of cooking beforehand to get them soft enough.

Top Bottom