Home made tarp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had a bit of time on my hands today and thought I would have a go at making a home made tarp for the summer. I usually use tents and have several of them, but I wanted to build a shelter which weighs under 1 kg.

The tarps I have seen on other sites are very expensive and so this tarp was made with bits and pieces I have laying around my workshop. The other faults with other tarps is that they are too small and do not have enough fastenings to hang it up.

I made the tarp in a mid green colour so I can use it for Stealth camping if I ever want to. It is 2.85m square and weighs in at about 830 gramms, including bag, which I think is good for the size. I have made so many loops to hang it up that it looks like a hedgehog. It also has plenty of stainless grommets round the sides to use to hang it up or peg it down.

I am waiting for the weather to improve before I try it out.

image_zps389113b6.jpg

image_zpsb1360850.jpg

image_zps26d20126.jpg

image_zps3e2f37f0.jpg

image_zps66591128.jpg

If there are any tarp users out there. What did I miss?

Steve

Last edited:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
A zero off the weight? :blush::unsure:

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its not that blue it is much more green than it appears. But having spent 12 years in the military I could Stealth camp in an orange tent.

It is made out of spinnaker material and the reinforcement material is some Grey sail cloth that I found under my bench and then punched through with some sail grommets.

It wont surprise you to hear I work in a sail loft.

Steve

fixedfixer

Veteran
Its not that blue it is much more green than it appears. But having spent 12 years in the military I could Stealth camp in an orange tent.

It is made out of spinnaker material and the reinforcement material is some Grey sail cloth that I found under my bench and then punched through with some sail grommets.

It wont surprise you to hear I work in a sail loft.

Steve
Thanks. I'll look out for something suitable. I though your stitches looked industrial rather than from a domestic machine.

Top Bottom