Home projector/super-8 enthusiast? Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Been doing a bit of an attic clearout, and one of the things that turned up was a box of old super-8 home movies and a Eumig projector. I'd love to play them, but there's no take-up reel on the projector and I'm having trouble finding out what I need, let alone getting hold of one.

All the reels I can find online seem to have the same basic fitting:

Problem is, the projector seems to have a different fitting:

...and I can't find a reel to fit.

I've tried removing the fitting, but it seems to be a fixture.

Any help/advice much appreciated. I've told my daughter about the delights of running it backwards so a young me undives out of the water and back onto the board. You can imagine how excited she is at the prospect...

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Wow...I remember super 8...trying to make movies on my Dads kit in the 70's:okay:. I wanted to make an epic sci-fi movie, then Star Wars came out:okay:. Oh, those teenage aspirations...
Try googling it. I came up with these people:Super 8 supplies

classic33

Leg End Member
Been doing a bit of an attic clearout, and one of the things that turned up was a box of old super-8 home movies and a Eumig projector. I'd love to play them, but there's no take-up reel on the projector and I'm having trouble finding out what I need, let alone getting hold of one.

All the reels I can find online seem to have the same basic fitting:

View attachment 539915

Problem is, the projector seems to have a different fitting:

View attachment 539916

...and I can't find a reel to fit.

I've tried removing the fitting, but it seems to be a fixture.

Any help/advice much appreciated. I've told my daughter about the delights of running it backwards so a young me undives out of the water and back onto the board. You can imagine how excited she is at the prospect...
Model No.?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Model No.?
Sorry, should've thought of that. It's marked Eumig P8, but it doesn't look like the one that comes up when you google that - there seems to be more than one version under that name. The one I have looks like this:

1596670119189.png

I have a box of films which fit on the reel on the right as you're looking at it, but no take-up reel like the one on the left.

Try googling it. I came up with these people:Super 8 supplies
Thanks - they definitely look worth checking out. They have loads of reels though I can't see one that looks right...but I'm sure they'll be able to advise - they look like the kind of people who like to help!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My FIL has a few projectors, and also some of the original footage of the Manchester bombing during the war (not many copies about). It's still in the tin box in the roof (I believe it's a bit combustible :ohmy:). He lent it to the North West Film Archive so they could digitise it.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two different sizes on the hole in the reel. Super 8 being the largest.

https://www.filmfix.com/super-8-normal-8-spule-erkennung-format.asp

Kodak projector in the attic has a similar system. The pin locating in one slot only on the take up reel.
Thanks. Interesting. The plot thickens!

It's now clear that I have a 8/super 8 film holder - it's set up for super8, but there's a sleeve you can remove that then allows you to load regular 8mm - but the take-up sprocket fits the larger super8 reels, but doesn't seem to have a removeable thingy. I guess it's now a case of getting hold of a super8 takeup reel...

classic33

Leg End Member

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It works! Boy but my dad made some boring films. Still, it's kind of fun watching yourself as a kid paddling a dinghy or running the egg & spoon race. There's just one oddity - there's some kind of alignment issue which results in the top of the frame appearing at the bottom, like this:

1597449506165.png

It's like the bottom 90% of the frame appears at the top, with the top 10% - in this case sky with the top of a tree - appearing in the bottom 10% of the frame. Mean anything to anyone? Anyone have a clue where I might start looking for a solution?

classic33

Leg End Member
Is the lens lined up correctly.
Seems as though you're getting the top of the next frame, showing at the bottom.

Top Bottom