Homemade Wheel Covers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
A slow shunt could be a very bad result, well it just seems not worth the risk when a waterproof tops and bottoms would be safer.

The top fairing means no need for waterproofs or base layers. As for safety, I could argue that the DF riders are more likely to be injured due to the fall/roll if involved in an accident. I could could argue that a trike with twin disc front wheels comes to a faster, and much more controlled stop than a DF where locking the front wheel means you're bouncing down the road. In the rain the cover keeps me dry. No rain, no cover. We all ride (hopefully) according to the conditions, which is why I try not to mention just how much safer recumbents are than 'normal' bikes. If you're riding something which is more dangerous you (should) take extra care. Which I do. I could argue that riding DF bikes just seems not worth the risk.....but I won't.

As for choosing waterproofs because they're 'safer', that's heading down that path of arguing that instead of waterproofs, and instead of cycling at all you should take the car/bus as that's safer still. Cycling is more dangerous for certain, but hey, we all take the risks don't we?

screenman

Legendary Member
I like the fact we have choice, just that from here it looks dangerous, you as the designer no doubt feel different. As a DF rider I would not place a anything around my neck that could by the looks of it decapitate me.

You can argue all you want to, not something I wish to do, by the way locking the wheels be it on a DF or a trike will result in loss of control, now a trike with ABS that could work.

As you say we all take our risks.

I do not think you have thought about any of the variables.

A slow shunt could be a very bad result, well it just seems not worth the risk when a waterproof tops and bottoms would be safer.

As for the bit of plastic on the commute bike, that is just odd.

I have not thought about any of the variables, what a nice and polite way to call me an idiot.
Well if you ask my mother in law you may not be far off.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have not thought about any of the variables, what a nice and polite way to call me an idiot.
Well if you ask my mother in law you may not be far off.

The way I see it is that maybe a 5mph shunt could shove that fairing back like a guillotine, not a pretty thought.

I was not trying to be rude, although you may not believe that, I was just after getting some discussion going.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

[QUOTE="screenman, post: 3464920, member: 3710"by the way locking the wheels be it on a DF or a trike will result in loss of control, now a trike with ABS that could work."
[/QUOTE]

Actually I quite regularly lock a one wheel when braking hard and cornering fast. Not only does it not result in loss of control, it's actually part of the fun. Whereas when I locked the front wheel on my 2 wheeler recumbent a couple of years ago, it resulted in a very bad case of road rash, and a week long limp. That said, if I'd had the same speed 'off' on my road bike, the resultant fall from a greater height would've almost certainly resulted in a hospital visit due to a broken femur/collar bone/wrist.
There's actually a really good video on you tube of 2 riders, one road biker, one recumbent rider who both fall off on the same corner. I'll see if I can find it!

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I do not doubt what you are saying, it is just the look of the meat slicer that I wonder about. You are fine with it and it is your neck, so the choice is yours, which is something I think you should have.

screenman

Legendary Member
Does the video have anything to with the fact that your fairing looks dangerous to me? For some reason it keeps coming up error occurred.

DrLex

merely the moocher
Slightly OT, how are you finding the Cruds on the Spesh? Looking for a set for my Roubaix and the options seem limited to those or race blades.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Slightly OT, how are you finding the Cruds on the Spesh? Looking for a set for my Roubaix and the options seem limited to those or race blades.

I had Cruds on an Allez I owned and didn't have any problems fitting over 25mm Marathon plus tyres. but I had real problems on the Secteur. Indeed, the rear doesn't have enough clearance under the calipers so I had to take it over the top (you can see on the pic if you zoom in.) Not ideal, but I suspect no guard will fit a Secteur over the Marathon. Of course I could just fit a Durano but I like to get to work on time every day, so punctures are not an option.

If you're fitting 23mm tyres, clearance wouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

I was advised against Cruds as they are a bit brittle; I'm using Raceblade Longs.

I've never had any failures using Cruds, they've survived years of commuting. Only problem was a loss of a rear extension piece on one set, so I now put a dab of glue inside the nut just to be sure.

Top Bottom