Homework

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Monday morning's probably leaving it a bit late...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
4 year old - nightly reading and about 30mins per week of writing. 8 Year old, spellings to learn throughout the week for a Monday test. Homework gets set on a Thursday - something to be handed in every Monday (normally Maths) and rolling project that they are given 3 weeks to complete. In addition to this they are expected to read about 4 times a week.

As a kid I don't remember much homework at primary school, except spellings and times tables.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
5 Year old
An hour over a week.
Last weeks was choose a part of the body, draw and explain what it does and how it works. Also revision for a spelling test every Wednesday (5 different words). He also has a reading book given to him once a week which he reads himself and with us and then has to read to the teacher.
We have had a bit of a battle with the teacher recently as they were giving him books that we far too easy for him. After much discussion with the teacher, they moved him up two levels.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Lots. Evenings and weekends. Kid1 - secondary school, gets on with it, occasional proof read, etc. kid2 - primary, needs a hand on occasion, we made nutrition Top Trump cards yesterday, every week reading and times-tables.

I don't remember getting primary homework and then when it got to secondary I couldn't be arsed, that's why I went to Kingston on Thames Polytechnic. Still turned out a genius anyway so all ok in the end.

mustang1

Guru
4 year old - nightly reading and about 30mins per week of writing. 8 Year old, spellings to learn throughout the week for a Monday test. Homework gets set on a Thursday - something to be handed in every Monday (normally Maths) and rolling project that they are given 3 weeks to complete. In addition to this they are expected to read about 4 times a week.

As a kid I don't remember much homework at primary school, except spellings and times tables.
The hope is the kids grow up and get higher paying jobs at an earlier age to contribute to the system's tax.

Bit kidding aside, that looks like a good structured approach.

Edit: my wife is great with the kids. 4yo gets two stories every night and reads one book himself daily. 8yo finds school homework too boring so my wife and I both challenge her with more interesting stuff. 8yo is a book-a-holic.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Secondary age - well KS4 - year 10 and I would say no where near enough to get reasonable grades.... however I'm not necessarily pointing the finger of blame at the teacher..... one reluctant student would seem the more likely problem in my household. I suspect he does enough to get by and no more!

Eldest (yr 2) gets home work Friday to hand in Wednesday. Its split into 4 sections. If in the mood we do one Friday night, 2 Saturday morning and the final maybe Sunday or after school Monday, Time is totally dependant on what is involved but I would say it's around 90mins a week. Also, 15 minutes reading most nights.

I am 40 and cannot remember doing any homework until I was 11 - even then not much! Still got As in maths, further maths and physics A-levels. Maybe Im just a genius....

Dan B

Disengaged member
It's by no means certain that homework helps with academic achievement anyway, as you'll see if you look at the literature. But maybe that's more of an SC&P thread than Cafe

My eldest is 3.5 years old and doesn't go to school

My girls are 14 and 17. Homework through the week seems sporadic but the youngest does a couple of hours most weekends. The eldest has a lot but uses her free periods at school to do most of it. I sign off the homework diaries every week (and the youngest has learnt how to forge my signature really well to avoid a detention!)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Twelve week old, inbetween naps and feeding is practising vowel sounds and grasping, and with Daddy's help is starting to work on rolling over. She's expected to have at least a few minutes tummy time each day and is very diligently doing splashy splashy every bathtime.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
Ive a 13 year at a reasonably academic grammar school and she is doing about 2 hours a night Monday to Thurs and then probably another couple of hours on Sunday. The 9 year old gets a maths and an English homework Monday to Thursday plus usually a project for the end of the week. They also have a Friday test which must be revised for on Thursday nights.
Hearing what you lot are saying above, this seems like quite a lot.

Eldest gets an hour per night in year 10 at a local grammar school - though usually strings it out to 2 hours unless I turn the wifi off - while the youngest gets a couple of hours per week in year 6 at primary school. 11+ results are out tomorrow, so it may all be about to change :rolleyes:

Top Bottom