Honest Bike Shop in Orlando or a Knowledgeable Person

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm over here for 6 weeks & brought my bike with me, but I have a lot of play in the headstock, I've removed the handlebar stem & spacers & it appears that the bearing at the top of the tube has a huge amount of play in it. I wondered if we had any members over here who could recommend a good shop or have a look at it & see if I'm right I can then try to get the parts & repair. It's a Giant Defy sorry no idea which model but it was the cheapest around £400 from JE James in Rotherham.

Alan...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have used Orange Cycles in Edgewater Drive (off Colonial Drive which is a main east/west route in central Orlando) while on holiday a few years ago. Found them very good to deal with. Bought a used but minted Specialized Sirrus hybrid from them and then sold it back to them after a week for $50 less. Effectively very reasonable bike hire.

The Overdrive is 1 1/8 at the top and tapers to 1 1/2 at the bottom.
The 2012 overdrive 2 which has the steerer 1 1/4 "at the top and it tapers to 1 1/2 at the bottom.
Unless someone has changed your forks. If its straight from the factory its the OverDrive head set.
OverDrive was the original introduction of tapered Headsets for Giant Bikes

Srsly. You need to learn how to adjust a threadless headset. But in the meantime - any shop will be able to do it for you in a couple of minutes. Its such a piddly simple job that theyll probably not charge you. But they will be wondering why you cant do it yourself.

Globalti

Legendary Member
But you aren't going to tell the OP how this simple task is accomplished?

Loosen the two pinch bolts at the back of the stem. Tighten down the bolt recessed in the stem cap until all play is gone but not so much that the steering becomes stiff. Tighten the pinch bolts evenly and finger tight. Ride bike.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It's straight from factory, never been touched & 2/3 years old I think.

I've undone the 2 pinch bolts, removed the bit that holds the handlebars, removed 3 spacers, then there is a piece which covers the bearing. The problem appears to be the diameter of the forks stem upright is about 3mm smaller diameter than the internal of the internal of the bearing. Something is clearly wrong but never having seen this setup before I'm not sure what, but basic engineering logic is the forks should be tight in the bearing.

Alan

Globalti

Legendary Member
No they shouldn't. The system is completely different from an old quill type system. The fork races, bearings and frame races and various spacers are all stacked and held in correct alignment by the pulling action of that recessed bolt in the head cap. Put it all back together in the correct order, tighten the bolt down and lock the system in place with the two pinch bolts.

But you aren't going to tell the OP how this simple task is accomplished?

Loosen the two pinch bolts at the back of the stem. Tighten down the bolt recessed in the stem cap until all play is gone but not so much that the steering becomes stiff. Tighten the pinch bolts evenly and finger tight. Ride bike.
No because - simple as it may be - the task still requires a modicum of mechanical eptitude and 'feel'. Not something which can be successfully communicated via the medium of internet discussion forum.

'Finger tight' ? :huh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
As tight as your fingers can go using a standard Allen key, yes. Not a fist or a lever or extension.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Just been & had another look, I 'think' the issue is there is no upper split collet (for want of a better word) the bottom bearing has a split collet which as the pressure is increased from above I presume pulls into the bearing, holding the fork upright in the centre of the bearing hence why on the upper one there is a good 3mm of play. I've found a Giant shop about 5 miles away on South Hiawase called Bike Works, I'm going to go there at 12 when they open, hopefully they will have the spare part.

Alan...

Top Bottom