Honesty boxes and cafés - legalities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The Humber bridge thread has reminded me about the honesty cafe on the solar system route out of York.

I love the idea of honesty boxes and cafés and it's good to see that community fridges are popping up all over the place too.

But are there legal implications? I can imagine that the tax man, H&S, etc are going to turn a blind eye to a few boxes of eggs at a farm gate, but what happens if a cafe in a popular place gets popular? Potentially it could be making a significant profit. Does it have to be run as a small business? What about hygiene standards? And I think I've seen them where there's a kettle so customers can make themselves a hot drink. Surely that needs to be PAT tested.

Anyone know? Should I pop a shed in my front garden and let people on the school run grab their breakfast :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There's one at Apple Blossom Caravan/Camping Park near Snaith; https://www.appleblossomcaravanandcamping.com/

It opened in Spring 2020 when there was nothing else open. Their income goes into the rest of the business, just like any other honesty box operated.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you are charging customers for something then the appropriate regulations should be followed.. the honesty box is just the method of payment (an potentially pricing, although pricing may be set rather than up to the individual)

It is quite hard for HMRC to track though...

Joffey

Big Dosser
The Humber bridge thread has reminded me about the honesty cafe on the solar system route out of York.

I love the idea of honesty boxes and cafés and it's good to see that community fridges are popping up all over the place too.

But are there legal implications? I can imagine that the tax man, H&S, etc are going to turn a blind eye to a few boxes of eggs at a farm gate, but what happens if a cafe in a popular place gets popular? Potentially it could be making a significant profit. Does it have to be run as a small business? What about hygiene standards? And I think I've seen them where there's a kettle so customers can make themselves a hot drink. Surely that needs to be PAT tested.

Anyone know? Should I pop a shed in my front garden and let people on the school run grab their breakfast :laugh:

When I lived in York I used to love this cafe. I wonder if it is still there. I might have a ride over that way soon and check it out.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Back in the late 60s/early 70s we were friends with a guy who's son apparently started the honesty box trend in the uk. He would mainly leave them in factory canteens (as in the one I worked at).
Apparently he became wealthy out of it.

Here in Amersfoort, there was a patch of spare land where an enterprising person placed a barrier and a fake notice saying that the land was a council car park and would people leave a euro per hour in the "honesty" box for parking there. It is not known how much money was scammed before the council found out about it many years later.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our local museum used to charge for entry. They changed to an honesty box system tho' a volunteer was always behind the desk.
Doing this made more money for them than charging.
Standing one day chatting to the person behind the desk I noticed that sometimes a hand swept over the box but nothing was dropped from it. Most were honest and did pay.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I lived in York I used to love this cafe. I wonder if it is still there. I might have a ride over that way soon and check it out.
It WAS in mid-November last year - I cycled past it with @Littgull. There was nobody there at the time but I think that it was 'open' for business. (We actually continued down the path and went to a cafe in Bishopthorpe.)

The Honesty Box is a cafe in a shed at Old Chamber on the hillside above Hebden Bridge. (At least, it was there just before Covid arrived - I haven't been up there since so I can't be sure that it is still open.)

I might go over for a walk when the weather is more appealing and stroll up there with a local pal to check.

And I think I've seen them where there's a kettle so customers can make themselves a hot drink. Surely that needs to be PAT tested
All the law requires is that the kettle is in a safe condition, PAT is one way of doing that.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

It WAS in mid-November last year - I cycled past it with @Littgull. There was nobody there at the time but I think that it was 'open' for business. (We actually continued down the path and went to a cafe in Bishopthorpe.)

The Honesty Box is a cafe in a shed at Old Chamber on the hillside above Hebden Bridge. (At least, it was there just before Covid arrived - I haven't been up there since so I can't be sure that it is still open.)

View attachment 628299
View attachment 628298
View attachment 628297

I might go over for a walk when the weather is more appealing and stroll up there with a local pal to check.
That looks lovely.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That looks lovely.
It was really nice. Tea and coffee making facilities. I think that there were biscuits and cake there as well when we went. Great views, but only a (fairly strenuous) 20-30 minute stroll up the hill from the town so it didn't have to be a mammoth trek, though there are multiple longer routes if desired.

I hope that Covid hasn't killed it off.

PS I have just blown up the picture... There were cakes and biscuits in the basket for £1. There was farm-made ice cream in the fridge, and you can see the free-range eggs for sale.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

It seems like a relatively easy thing to do if you have space in a location that people pass by and if keeping it stocked isn't too difficult. I went to one that was in someone's garden - a big garden! And the owners were able to pop out and check on it easily. They had picnic tables and a pond to provide entertainment while you ate and drank.

Back in the late 60s/early 70s we were friends with a guy who's son apparently started the honesty box trend in the uk. He would mainly leave them in factory canteens (as in the one I worked at).
Apparently he became wealthy out of it.
Wasn't there a story recently about a UK policeman who got fired for not paying for his kit kat in the honesty box ?

Top Bottom