Honey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Does anyone know the differences in the types of honey you can buy? Out here there is honey for children, woman, pregnant women and men. There may be others but my understanding of Chinese writing is not so good therefore I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing honey in so many categories in the UK and are they really just for the people they say on the label!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
pregnant men?

Honey here is by pollen source, roughly speaking. Clover honey, acacia honey etc. My bug bear is not being able to buy runny British honey for my fruity tea. All of the supermarket own brand stuff, plus the big names (Rowse etc) only sell honey 'from EU and non-EU sources', which seems a bit crap really.

Manuka honey Keith...available in a variety of strengths. Quite expensive although Tescos used to sell it at a reasonable price once upon a time. I like set honey as it doesn't drip on the keyboard too much. I suddenly developed streaming nose / eyes etc about two years ago - at hay fever time. Never experienced it before - or since. My medicine? Honey - most days. English set - 'with a taste of fudge' :evil:

simonali

Guru
We have a friend who jars her own (was gonna say makes, but it's the bees what do that, innit!). Dunno if if it's runny or set, as I don't use the stuff, but I know it's yellow, if that's any help? :evil:

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to post if anyone wants to try it (and she has stock)?

bonj2

You can get dark greek honey, and I think mexican, but I find it a bit strong. It's just TOO overpoweringly sweet.Apparently the darker it is, the more different types of sugar it's got in it, therefore the healthier it is, but I can't eat much of it I just find it too strong.
You can get 'clear and fresh' honey which I find a bit more palateable.

yenrod

As far as I know theirs the dry stuff, then the runny stuff but their are variants in regards to the origin :evil:

I bought some runny stuff today !

Seen as being a substance of medicinal quality by the Egyptians ! Something I feel is VERY VERY true ! !!

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
You can get dark greek honey, and I think mexican, but I find it a bit strong. It's just TOO overpoweringly sweet.Apparently the darker it is, the more different types of sugar it's got in it, therefore the healthier it is, but I can't eat much of it I just find it too strong.
You can get 'clear and fresh' honey which I find a bit more palateable.

No. The darker it is, the more bee shoot it has in it.

walker

When I was in Turkey they did 3 types of honey depending on where the Bees collected their pollen from, and yes you could taste the difference.

domtyler

Über Member
You can get energy gels made from honey, I bought a load thinking they must be good but expecting them to contain honey rather than be just honey on its own.

They were a bit much once out on the bike!!

longers

Legendary Member
I got told that a Honey Bee will produce 1/8th of a teaspoon of honey in its working life. This came from a reputable source - a beekeeper.

Top Bottom