Honking disc brakes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If the existing disks are contaminated it might take more than an organic solvent to clean them - when fitting new pads I'd be tempted to clean the disks with acetone then scuff them up well with some new, clean coarse sandpaper - maybe 180 or 240 grit until there are none of the original radial wear marks left.. then degrease again to be sure.

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
If the existing disks are contaminated it might take more than an organic solvent to clean them - when fitting new pads I'd be tempted to clean the disks with acetone then scuff them up well with some new, clean coarse sandpaper - maybe 180 or 240 grit until there are none of the original radial wear marks left.. then degrease again to be sure.

Yeah, I did that - acetone and then sandpaper until pads were back to bronze. Put them back on (having also cleaned the rotor with acetone) and immediate honking!

Have just ordered some Gorilla ceramic pads as a final attempt . . . 😬

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yeah, I did that - acetone and then sandpaper until pads were back to bronze. Put them back on (having also cleaned the rotor with acetone) and immediate honking!

Have just ordered some Gorilla ceramic pads as a final attempt . . . 😬

I'm talking about the "rotors" - not the pads ;)

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thank you everyone for you help. Rotors sanded and cleaned with acetone and new ceramic Gorilla pads fitted and bedded in. No longer sounds like a flock of geese being harassed by an unruly terrier when I stop!
IMG_20230907_103104312.jpg

IMG_20230907_105442231_HDR~2.jpg

Top Bottom