Honking disc brakes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Seeking a bit of advice for quietening down my disc brakes. There not just gently squealing, they are honking like a French horn at a rate of decibels, which seems to be amplified through the frame - to the extent that it is too embarrassing to ride the bike!

I've done my research and tried: ensuring the calipers are properly aligned; ensuring the caliper and rotor fittings aren't loose; cleaning the pads and rotors with acetone; replacing the rotors and pads, and bedding them in.

I'm running out of ideas now and finding it a bit depressing as it's stopping me using the bike, so last week I used the car for some short journeys.

The bike is a bit of an unusual one - a Michael Blast Greaser e-bike (restricted EPAC in like with UK laws).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

IMG_20230707_163133622~2.jpg

Adam4868

Guru
Hydraulic ? Had similar experience and it ended up being a leaky caliper,ever so slight weep caused me endless pain.New discs and rotors etc 😁

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thanks for the suggestions. So when I replaced the pads I went for 'organic' as I had heard they were quieter than sintered? Is that the same as resin? Should I have replaced the disc at the same time? And how does ceramic fit in?

It's a bit of a minefield!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Thanks for the suggestions. So when I replaced the pads I went for 'organic' as I had heard they were quieter than sintered? Is that the same as resin? Should I have replaced the disc at the same time? And how does ceramic fit in?

You should have cleaned the rotors first at least.

I've not had much luck with resin/organic personally - they still squeel and last a fraction of the time, compared to sintered, although the only time my sintered ones squeal (on my one bike that has them) is in the wet.

I do get some squeel on the bike that has resin/organic ones, but that's only in the dry, after they are nearly worn out, or have glazed over

I've not tried the mixed variety

This may help explain the differences

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/disc-brake-pads/

Last edited:
OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
So if I were to bite the bullet and buy new rotors and pads (again!), what would be my best option? Dry use only, quite hilly area with a heavy bike. Quiet as possible! ^_^

Photo of caliper in case it helps.

IMG_20230804_150947845~2.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member

yes organic = resin. metallic = sintered. ceramic = none of the afore four mentioned.

https://uk.thelostco.com/blogs/blog/mountain-bike-brake-pads-explained
^^ This summary also includes Ceramic. I read this when in a similar state of confusion to you which is what prompted me to go ceramic on my gravel bike.

They were a big improvement on whatever they replaced (which sadly i don't know what the old ones were, other than noisy and rough sounding :laugh: I suspect sintered as they had been on yonks and hadn't completely worn away.)

Edit to say you don't need new rotors do you, they don't look particularly worn.

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
yes organic = resin. metallic = sintered. ceramic = none of the afore four mentioned.

https://uk.thelostco.com/blogs/blog/mountain-bike-brake-pads-explained
^^ This summary also includes Ceramic. I read this when in a similar state of confusion to you which is what prompted me to go ceramic on my gravel bike.

They were a big improvement on whatever they replaced (which sadly i don't know what the old ones were, other than noisy and rough sounding :laugh: I suspect sintered as they had been on yonks and hadn't completely worn away.)

Edit to say you don't need new rotors do you, they don't look particularly worn.

Ok, thanks. So it seems my next step is to buy some decent ceramic pads and give the existing rota another good clean just before I fit them.

Top Bottom