Hook of Holland to Kristiansand.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

acuna_read

I'm looking to do a trip in the summer if I'm allowed to with covid. Have been reading up on the Eurovelo12 route from Hook of Holland to Hirtshals and then on the ferry from there. From what I can gather the Eurovelo12 route isn't the the most aesthetically pleasing and there may be better ways to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions that are suitable for me to do this route in about two weeks. Will be primarily camping but am considering joining warm-showers, anyone have experience of this?

Also any suggestions for getting back, as I have roughly five weeks in total to use but will probably be in Norway for 3-4 days then would like to get back as cheaply as possible. I was thinking of getting a bus from Oslo to Germany then cycling back from there but am open to suitable suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

I can't really comment on the route or the pleasantness or otherwise. The west coast of NL can be interesting, but busy, the Northern coast more sparse. Personally, I'd venture through the middle of NL before turning north and intersecting with EV12 near Hamburg. I can make more suggestions.
Biroto.eu is a good resource for long distance routes. It would be easy enough to string together a series of local routes to get to the same destination rather than slavishly follow one route.
Where do you want to visit? What are you interested in?
Cycle.travel is the best route planner in my opinion.

Personally, I'd prefer to do your route backwards, starting at the destination and cycling home. Logistically easier and less stressful. All the public transport is organised at home, more security for last minute changes and far fewer deadlines on the actual ride itself. Maybe check out the Dutch (NSInternational) or German (Deutsche Bahn) websites. I got a great deal to Switzerland (with my bike), one ticket covering NL, Germany & Switzerland only a few days before departure. (Off season).

I have to add at this point that if the last year has taught me anything about bike touring it is the futility of making long term plans.

Flixbus carry bikes on some routes, themaninseat61 is a good resource for train travel.

Camping options should be plentiful in NL and Denmark, although the Northern Dutch coast is not so well equipped, I believe, while Denmark has some pretty good free camping spots. Try using the search function for this forum for more info.

I was a Warmshowers host for several years in NL. WS has been dead for most of this year, new members have to pay and their new app is subscription only. It may take a while for things to settle down once people start moving again. From experience, as a host the biggest problem was new members with no interest in cycling using it for free accommodation or people wanting to "book" my home months in advance. Eh, no. As a user the problem was the number of non replies or inactive accounts.
It's biggest use to me has been finding out local information.

Good luck!

Stephenite

Membå
I could help you out with a place to stay in the middle of Telemark.

But what is this Warm Shower business? Is it something like a Happy Ending?

snorri

Legendary Member
It took me more than two weeks to get from the Hook to Hirtshals but I admit my tours are more leisurely than fast! Looking at the map, I certainly would not consider the EV12 route to be 'aesthetically pleasing'. The route planning priority appears to have been to follow the coastline as close as possible. I'm interested in marine stuff and like to be near the coast, but that would be too much coast even for me. My first foreign tour took me from the Hook to Den Helder along the Lf1 which appears to be the same as the EV12, this was enjoyable and gave me confidence to just 'wing it' on future tours. After crossing Afsluitdijk, I would suggest a more southerly route via Heerenveen and Groningen. On to Leer for the bridge across the Ems, then to Varel and Nordenham for ferry across the Weser to Bremerhaven. To Wischhafen for the ferry across the Elbe to Gluckstadt. Nothwards then into Denmark, again I can't see the point of slavishly following the coast route with exposure to the prevailing westerly winds, better I think to take a route up the middle and call in at a few larger towns along the way.
Enjoy!

OP
OP
A

acuna_read

Thank you everyone for the advice, very much appreciated and will definitely look into the things suggested. I realise from two weeks is optimistic but I'm comfortable managing 100km a day with a few rest days. With the return journey I have plenty of time to get back so could take it leisurely as I stupidly have gone back to higher education so have plenty of free time!

I could help you out with a place to stay in the middle of Telemark.
Thank you so much for the offer of somewhere to stay, that's amazing. I have a friend who lives in Grimstad so have somewhere to stay for my few days in Norway.

If/WHEN you get to Hirsthals, there’s a four-hour ferry to Larvik, which is about 130 km from Oslo.
Again, you could have a place to overnight/recuperate if you so wish.
There is a DFDS ferry from Oslo to either Copenhagen or Kiel. It’ll be a lot more fun and comfortable than taking a bus but I don’t know about the cost.
Just google DFDS.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To go up Denmark you could look at Haervejen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hærvejen

We have a really good free shelter site in Denmark. Look for Shelter. dk

They look like this.
IMG_20201231_140857-01.jpeg

OP
OP
A

acuna_read

If/WHEN you get to Hirsthals, there’s a four-hour ferry to Larvik, which is about 130 km from Oslo.
Again, you could have a place to overnight/recuperate if you so wish.
There is a DFDS ferry from Oslo to either Copenhagen or Kiel. It’ll be a lot more fun and comfortable than taking a bus but I don’t know about the cost.
Just google DFDS.
Thanks Dayvo but will be taking the ferry straight to Kristiansand which is only 2:15 as its then a relatively short 60km ride to my destination.
To go up Denmark you could look at Haervejen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hærvejen

We have a really good free shelter site in Denmark. Look for Shelter. dk
Thanks that looks quite interesting and will have to do some more research around Denmark it seems. Love the colour of the Brompton too.

Top Bottom