Hoolie 2 ETC tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Do any of the esteemed CCer's have experience of this tent? I do like my space and somewhere to put the bike and this is the first low profile decent size tent I've seen that may satisfy. Should still be enough space to brew up if the weather is inclement as well even with the bike in I reckon. At three and a bit kilos too.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Will your bike fit in the porch?

Wild country used to have a good reputation (but so did karrimor) I'm out of touch.

Hooped is obvs less stable gan geodesic design..

We bought the 3 man version. Plenty of space, stable enough and good enough ventilation to avoid condensation issues.

However, about 3 days into a 2 week cycle tour one pole failed completely when the outer part of one pole disintegrated where the joint pin was crimped in to fix it in one join end. The cracks spread out from the holes in the outer that formed the crimping with the result a piece cracked away and the pole poked a hole through the pole sleeve. We handled the tent with care and used it as it was designed for. No mistreatment or accidents or even strong winds. It failed due to a manufacturing fault imho a cheap pole design with the crimp fit pins which put multiple holes in the outer part of the pole at the point with the worst strain the joint. Much better glued or simply friction fit.

Fortunately I packed a pole repair sleeve tube which was a bit too big a diameter but I taped it secure so we could at least get shelter.

Imho they are built to a price and then you can get them widely discounted. That to my pov makes them a real risk if you decide to buy one. If you do get a repair kit including pole sleeve or two. Personally we took it back, got our money back eventually and bought a helsport 3 man, extended porch tunnel tent of a much better design. The lofoten pro from them. The poles are class leading DAC with friction fit pins and a bigger diameter pole too. Much stronger materials throughout and much lighter at 3.1 kg for a roomy 3 man tent. Cost us £575 about 5 years or so ago. A bit more now but worth it IMHO!

Petrichorwheels

Do any of the esteemed CCer's have experience of this tent? I do like my space and somewhere to put the bike and this is the first low profile decent size tent I've seen that may satisfy. Should still be enough space to brew up if the weather is inclement as well even with the bike in I reckon. At three and a bit kilos too.

Pic/link?

(And by the by if there was a camping/cycle camping section in this place would have found this post far easier. Only came across by chance)

Last edited:
I do like my space and somewhere to put the bike
A quick look tells me that it's a tunnel tent.
My problem with a tunnel tent is that all bags and gear go in the porch and you're wanting to put a bike in there too?
That's going to make getting in and out tricky, to say the least. In my case, I'm pretty sure I'd damage the fly in short order trying to manipulate a bike in there.

I've no idea what camping you have done but my first question is why do you want the bike under canvas? I've never considered it. If it's security I think that the fear of bike theft can be out of proportion to the reality. If it's to protect the bike I'd say most bikes are better able to withstand inclement weather standing up than lying on their side. Besides, a cheap motorbike cover would probably do a better job.

As for the tent itself I have no direct experience. My first tent was a tunnel (Coleman, heavy & cheap) but sturdy and spacious. I really liked it but moved on from it when I knew I wouldn't always be able to peg it out. Also, in foul weather cooking in the porch was not pleasant as it had to face into the wind. A better designed tent wouldn't have that problem.

If you really want to keep the bike under cover have a look at some pyramid style tents. They have lots of space. Actually, you have one, no?

These days if looking for a tent one of the first things I'd look for is good customer service in the event of a problem. Any tent can have a problem but not all companies are as good at dealing with them. Especially if you're on the road.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I do indeed have a pyramid tent which I shall be using mainly. The other was very cheap and I tend to keep my gear in the tent and use porch for cooking. I love a tent sale too.

These extended porch tunnels tend to have openings at the end and side near the inner door. Bikes and bags on the hoodie 3etc could fit in the end with the opening while allowing you to get in and out from the side door.

Whilst they're a good design the hoodie is not a tent I would recommend or ever use where a failure ends the trip.

Top Bottom