Hopeful request RE Falcon Banana 501 Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irontam

I've a 'fixed' Falcon Team Banana 501 as my daily commute and the Bottom Bracket is on it's way out and need to find a sealed BB to replace it with.

I'm assuming it's a standard 68mm English shell, but would anyone know off-hand what size of axle I need?

(It'd save me have to strip down the mangled one to measure and then put back together to ride to work). I'd rather only have to strip it out and bin it. :sad:

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you have a digital caliper (like this)- or even a £4.99 Draper hand one from B&Q, it's a 5 minute job to take the crankset off, measure the spindle, put the cranks back on. You don't need to strip the BB at all until you are ready to replace it.

OP
OP
irontam

irontam

porkypete said:
If you have a digital caliper (like this)

Cheers, I've got a vernier gauge kicking about. I was just fishing for the answer without having to strip down the BB, usually have to work on bikes outside and it's still a little parky.

OP
OP
irontam

irontam

Well, I braved the freezing temperatures and stripped down the BB in the garden this afternoon. After measuring it, I took the opportunity to clean everything and apply fresh grease. Put it together and it's smoother now - hopefully last a few more weeks.

So, in-case anyone comes across this thread in years to come, it takes a 68-113mm BB. Found a likely looking (cheap) BB:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22376

Top Bottom