Horizon Kingfisher new arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last week I posted about an eBay bike locally to me which had little information apart from the seller's photo:

s-l1600-jpg-158073-jpg.334440.jpg

Any idea about it? Size? Groupset? OK, so it's got a 531 sticker and a rack. And a triple if I'd looked harder. As @raleighnut pointed out they could have pumped the tyres up before selling.

So last night I collected it and after 30 minutes cleaning before work (better photos later):

It's from Two Wheels Good in Leeds and one of their own-brand bikes. The crankset's a Stronglight triple with a 48 outer ring - so definitely a touring bike. Shifters/derailleurs are Suntour XCD 4050 and the wheels are Mavic Open 3 CD with a new front and old rear tyre. It's got a Blackburn rack and Sakae bars with Dia Compe cantilever brakes with Gran Compe levers. The chrome's all good under the dirt but the paintwork is tired in places. The seatpost is fluted and moves :okay: .

Oh, and it is much smaller than it looked in the photo. It's a 52cm frame.

Plans? Clean it, new chain and cables. Then either sell on or keep as occasional use. I could be really bad and split the bike for the parts but I'm not that way inclined at present.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
No breaky breaky

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Been having a go at this today. The crankset is now (almost) all silver rather than 1/2" of dirt. Rear derailleur moves properly and shifters all work. The bonus is a decent Blackburn pannier rack with front rack mounts.

Short test ride which shows that I'm definatley too tall for the Horizon - the pic shows what the seatpost needs to be. Also imo it's under-geared for me with a 48 tooth large ring on the triple. Therefore it'll be on sale shortly once the following are done:
  • New chain
  • Chainstay cover
  • New rear tyre - the front's a 26mm and the back currently a 32mm
  • New bar tape
  • It may need some of the surface rust painting. I'll think that one through.
DSCF4787_zpsod9qvxkn.jpg

Top Bottom