Horrible evil tandem chain..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
badkitty

badkitty

A Fiddler of ill repute
summerdays said:
It's where the chain doesn't leave the front rings and going to the back and instead gets pulled up and quite often trapped between the bottom stay and the rings - jammed tight. It got to the point that I could recognise the sensation and stop pedalling immediately before it jammed solid. Oh - that's what that's called! I always just called it bl**dy annoying,but chain suck is a much nicer word for it.
Thankfully, that's not a problem on this bike at the moment ( cue the Gods lining up to make sure it is the very next time I ride it..:thumbsup: ), but thanks for enlightening me anyway.

Right - need to go and see if I can get that chain back on again..

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...is a peeeeg jobxx(:laugh:

NickM

Veteran
BigonaBianchi said:
...is a peeeeg jobxx(:laugh:
No it's not!

When you have successfully re-joined the chain as I do not doubt you will, you may need to de-stickify the re-joined link using the appropriate part of your chain tool. Failure to do so will result in noise, frustration and possible further taking-it-out-on-the-poor-tandem!

The heretofore-unmentioned stick (ahem) may invalidate the insufficient-timing-chain-tension theory. If you had an Autex self-pulling crank bolt fitted, you could have loosened the whole crank there and then just enough to disentangle the chain, put it back where it belongs and tightened the crank again - and would hardly have got your fingers dirty in the process. Autex + long 6mm Allen key - never go out onna tantrum without them!

OP
OP
badkitty

badkitty

A Fiddler of ill repute
NickM said:
No it's not!

When you have successfully re-joined the chain as I do not doubt you will, you may need to de-stickify (what a fab word !)the re-joined link using the appropriate part of your chain tool.Ah - didn't work out that there was a tool for it, but played around with the link for a while until it de-stickyfied by itself..:thumbsup: Failure to do so will result in noise, frustration and possible further taking-it-out-on-the-poor-tandem! As if I'd do a thing like
that..:shy::biggrin:

The heretofore-unmentioned stick (ahem) may invalidate the insufficient-timing-chain-tension theory. If you had an Autex self-pulling crank bolt fitted, you could have loosened the whole crank there and then just enough to disentangle the chain, put it back where it belongs and tightened the crank again - and would hardly have got your fingers dirty in the process. Autex + long 6mm Allen key - never go out onna tantrum (! :biggrin:)without them!

You are right. I'm going to get one of those, especially after I found a whacking big bolt in the crank which I just knew was going to be a pain.That was what made me choose the chain option.

Thanks a lot for your help - has been a bit of a learning curve, and now not only have I got my tandem fixed and running nicely again, but I am no longer scared of chains! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

No all I need to do is get all the oil off me..:blush:

Oh and a special thanks to Mr BigonaBianchi without who's help..........;):rofl:

Top Bottom