Horrible scene, Greenhow Hill, Pateley Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had been out to Harrogate today for my stepdaughter's graduation ceremony. Afterwards, she, her husband, her mum (my ex) and I went out for a celebration meal in Nidderdale. We were in good spirits after the meal and I suggested driving back by a scenic route. So, we were heading up the steep ascent out of Pateley Bridge on the way over to Grassington and I had just commented on how dodgy the descent was and that there had been many serious accidents involving cyclists there when suddenly the driver of a 4x4 towing a caravan ahead of us braked hard and stopped.

We pulled up and got out to see what the problem was and saw a cyclist lying unconscious in the road. He looked in a very bad way. I felt as though I had jinxed the poor man.

A couple from another car ran over to him and were trying to decide what to do. The driver of the 4x4 was already on his phone to the emergency services. I went forward and the driver asked if I would take over the call while he tried to help the cyclist.

The man at the call centre was just trying to do his job, but I was getting frustrated with the delay that his questions were causing. I told him that it looked very serious but he insisted on trying to narrow down the exact location, asking for names of nearby buildings and so on. I told him to just get the emergency services on the way. It was on the B-road from Pateley Bridge to Grassington, about 1 mile up the hill. A quick look at an OS map would show exactly where that is - there would be no confusion from that description.

Anyway ... eventually a police car arrived and I passed the call over to one of the 2 police officers. The other joined the helpers who had got the victim in the recovery position.

Some people had gone up the hill to stop traffic coming down towards the scene. I went down the hill to explain to other stranded drivers what was happening and to try and keep the road clear for the ambulance when it arrived. I was just explaining to a young woman that an ambulance was on its way when it came tearing up the hill towards us, overtaking the stationary traffic. I motioned to her to pull forwards to the nearside verge but she panicked and instead reversed back out into the road, forcing the ambulance to stop. It was all very stressful ...

Everything seemed to be taking forever, though it was probably only a few seconds delay here and there. We got her forwards out of the way and then the ambulance got through to the accident scene.

I had already been thinking that it looked like the Yorkshire Air Ambulance might be needed when I heard it in the distance. It suddenly shot overhead and the pilot did a loop around the scene, trying to find a safe place to land. The terrain was not ideal, but he managed to put the chopper down in a field not too far from the victim.

At that point, one of the police officers came down the line of stationary vehicles, thanked us for our help and suggested that we all u-turned and head back down the hill to find alternative routes away since our help was no longer needed and we could not continue up the hill.

I am not 100% sure what happened, but I don't think a vehicle was involved. The incident took place on a very steep, tight, treacherous-looking bend so it might have been due to rider error, or it could have been caused by some problem with the road surface or with the bike.

I'm really hoping that the injuries were not as serious as they looked and that the rider makes a full recovery. If he does, I will try to contact him and explain to him what happened.

Strangely enough, I washed three bags worth of surplus clothes only yesterday and donated them to a Yorkshire Air Ambulance collection. I thought then what a great job it does and how we should all support such services.

Let's be careful out there, folks ...

classic33

Leg End Member
At least you helped out, there's many that wouldn't have done what you did.

outlash

also available in orange
Kudos Colin. When I was up there for the tour last year, I did that descent into Pateley Bridge and I hated it, I can easily see how people could get over-confident going down there.

Tony.

Twinks

Über Member
Sorry you had to encounter such a dreadful situation on an otherwise happy occasion. The Yorkshire Air Ambulance are fantastic, I saw them put down on the Snake Pass a couple of weeks ago when a motor cyclist had a serious accident, they actually put down on the road which is narrow and winding with a steep bank on the side, you wouldn't have thought there was room for the rotors, it was amazing. Also watched them come to the rescue of another motor cyclist on a narrow pass up in the Lake District. He looked in a very serious state and I suspect if he would have had to wait for an ambulance it would have been too late. Have done many sponsored horse rides to raise funds for them in the past, a very worthwhile cause but it's a shame that they should need charity funding. We none of us know when we might need their help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sara_H

Guru
Sounds very stressful indeed.

Hope you're ok too.

The Air ambulance does indeed do a fab job. Amazing that it's funded by charitable donations really.

Drago

Legendary Member
Another point that might cheer you up. Most force call centres use one of two pieces of software to log calls. Once your name and very basic details are taken and they have his 'save' then the dispatch desk or control room can see the job as it emerged and allocate troops to it immediately while the call handler takes further details, such as trying to further tighten up on the locationnqith a house number or landmark. Further questioning might sound like dithering, but it does nothing to slow the response as that is independent of the call handler.

The more common software is actually the oldest, called STORM (no qualms mentioning it as it's well in the public domain) and can be really finniky when selecting a location and I'd bet Users charisma that's the software suite that was being used.

I hope you're ok. Sounds an unpleasant scene to come across.

Good for you, it can be traumatic for the first aiders and bystanders. TAke time for yourself to put this event in order

Can I bring up a quick learning point, not to divert the thread, but to comment on the Ornance Survey and Emergency Services

For some bizarre reason the Ordnance Survey grid reference is no longer used by the Emergency Services - they need post codes for their responses, equally they no longer use Ordnance Survey maping

The software used does not recgnise this format. There was a big campaign a few years ago by the Ramblers, CTC and others, but as far as I am aware this is still the case

This is the reason why they have to locate by postcode or landmark

Note: See above, Drago posted similar as I was typing

Drago

Legendary Member
We still use the OS system in SAR, and our mapping systems are a good tier above the dibble ones. Again, as with the selection of STORM itself, the address gazeteer is cheaper, and it's all well and good... until someone calls 999 from a middle of a field or 20 miles up an unclassified road.

young Ed

Veteran
crikey! not good...
well done for stopping and helping out, i've only come across 2 or 3 accidents so far with all but one whilst i was on the bike and i have always stopped and made sure services are on their way and then checked the injured parties are in a stable condition and i check out wounds/injuries etc and try to slow any major blood flows if possible. then i keep a constant eye on the injured whilst i wait for proper services to arrive and once they've said they are happy to take over i leave them to it.

being partially first aid trained but also knowing what to do just from experience (although not an expert by any means) i hope i can help in some way shape or form
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was horrible. I am trying not to think about the actual injuries, but after seeing at least
4 other unconscious cyclists lying at the roadside on the Tour de Yorkshire sportive recently, this is starting to make me more nervous about cycling. Precisely why I do not normally come into this section of CC!

I have to say that most of the people at the scene were very helpful and/or patient. There was just one young driver who tried to overtake the long queue of stationary vehicles. I blocked his way and explained why I could not let him proceed. He just accepted it and went back down the hill.

Now that I have had time to think about it, I am sure that the emergency services were indeed despatched pretty quickly judging by when they arrived. It is just that everything seems to be happening so slowly in such a situation.

One or two of the people at the scene seemed to know what to do but I felt pretty out of my depth. I squeezed the cyclist's hand and told him that help was on its way but I am pretty sure that he would not have known what was happening. If the final outcome is really bad, then at least he didn't suffer. Stilll, bloody hell - what a terrible thing to happen on a lovely evening ride in the sunshine!

Twinks

Über Member
It was horrible. I am trying not to think about the actual injuries, but after seeing at least
4 other unconscious cyclists lying at the roadside on the Tour de Yorkshire sportive recently, this is starting to make me more nervous about cycling. Precisely why I do not normally come into this section of CC!

Try to keep it in perspective @ColinJ, it's a terrible, terrible thing to have happened and to have witnessed but how many hundreds of thousands of cyclists are out there on the roads every single day without incident. We can't take all the risks out of life without taking the pleasure out of it too. Try not to dwell on it and in time you will find it easier to find that perspective. Go easy on yourself. :hugs:A trauma for all involved.

Mrs M

Guru
Well done to you for doing the right thing.
Sounds like you did a lot to help and very importantly kept calm during a very frightening, stressful experience for all concerned.
Just shows we really have no idea what's just around the corner.
Hope you are ok and that the man makes a good recovery.
Take care.

young Ed

Veteran
rest assured @ColinJ that you did everything you could and couldn't have handled it better, many people would have panicked and run about like a headless chicken with out a clue what to do only making matters worse! even though there are many people that claim that they would keep calm and be fine in such a situation and blood doesn't affect them etc when actually plonked in the middle of it all in real life they turn out near on useless

hoping for a good strong, speedy recovery for the poor chap on the bike. hopefully it won't turn out to be the worst case. but either way i'm sure you made that tough moment just that bit easier for the poor chap even if he wasn't quite sure what was happening, the worst thing when you are the injured in such a case is to feel alone or ignored. the best thing is to have a brave person like you @ColinJ to comfort you :thumbsup:
Cheers Ed

ScotiaLass

Guru
Well done for helping out :hugs:
I hope it's not too traumatic for you...things like that do stay on your mind for a long time.
I'm glad you spoke to the cyclist even if you thought he couldn't hear you. Often patients recall hearing someone speak to them, so reassuring them in a calm manner can do more than you think.

Top Bottom