Horriffic accident M40 tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Was in a Taxi coming back from Heathrow up the M40 tonight, near the M25 on the South bound carriageway was a truly terrible accident, looked like nearly half a dozen cubed cars and several trucks involved. The poor 28 year old driver of my cab was visibly shaken for the rest of the journey home by seeing the covered bodies in the road...
It was truly, truly awful carnage:sad:;)
Sympathy to their bereaved families tonight.

A very salient reminder whether on bike or in our cars to be careful out there people.

Very unpleasent indeed, sympathy to their families.

The roads are very dangerous at the moment, no matter what mode of transport we use.

ash68

agree, sympathy to everyone involved.Serious accidents cause untold suffering not only to those involved, but also to their friends, families and loved ones.Accidents will happen, but IMO speed, lack of care and attention often contribute to them. Too many people are in too much of a hurry and don't pay proper attention on the roads. I've no wish to prejudge this case as I obviously don't know the details, but why can't people slow down and take more care? Everyone's in such a rush nowadays. Is anything so important it's worth risking your life, just to get home 5 minutes faster. Without seeming uncaring, I'm pleased it was on a motorway, so there was no cycling casualties this time.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
;) sympathy too. Whatever the cause I was thinking early this morning how nasty it was with the severe frost overnight. Reminds me off the sign off line on a radio station when I used to work evenings about travelling back carefully.

yenrod

Ive always found car drivers go too fast when they should be slow and slow when they could open it up !

If for one day a 'no windows in car day' was made law then I truly believe that half of cardrivers WOULD NOT go as fast ever again !

domtyler

Über Member
yenrod said:
Ive always found car drivers go too fast when they should be slow and slow when they could open it up !

If for one day a 'no windows in car day' was made law then I truly believe that half of cardrivers WOULD NOT go as fast ever again !

Most baffling ;)

My bet would be, not speed but driving too close to the car in front. When I did 35K a year on the motorways this was easily the most common accident.

Once, in a queue of traffic I watched as a gap opened four cars in front. The car immediately behind the gap, who must have been daydreaming, seeing the gap suddenly accelarated and the three behind him accelarated with him. I wondered where they were all going as I was looking ahead of them. In the space of 200yds they all must have got to 40mph. The first car went straight into the back of the stationery traffic and the other three concertinad into him blocking all but the outside lane: Quite a mess it made of the cars involved. Conditions probably confused them all; dark, raining, cold and at this time of year.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
yenrod said:

Why, would they all be using Linux?:becool:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
zimzum42 said:
Can't find anything in the news about it, guess that sums up the attitude to it.....

GOOD NEWS!
Contrary to what my Taxi-driver reported, there were no casualties' so the yellow blanket covered bodies he thought he saw must have been something else according to this report:
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/mos...eople_seriously_hurt_in_m40_smash_tonight.php
Looking at the wrecked cars that I could see I am amazed that there were no fatalities...it says a lot about the integrity of modern design.

Am very very glad, I was somewhat disturbed myself about those involved.

domtyler

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
GOOD NEWS!
Contrary to what my Taxi-driver reported, there were no casualties' so the yellow blanket covered bodies he thought he saw must have been something else according to this report:
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/mos...eople_seriously_hurt_in_m40_smash_tonight.php
Looking at the wrecked cars that I could see I am amazed that there were no fatalities...it says a lot about the integrity of modern design.

Am very very glad, I was somewhat disturbed myself about those involved.

Apart from the fact that the safer they make cars the more vulnerable road users die as a direct result. Mostly pedestrians more than cyclists, but the effect is more wide reaching than that, it produces scarier and less pleasant conditions anywhere near roads for everyone.

domtyler

Über Member
In fact, I would go as far to say that if all concerned had been either killed or seriously injured last night and it had made front page news across the board the roads would probably be safer for the rest of us this morning. As it stands, nothing has changed.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
In fact, I would go as far to say that if all concerned had been either killed or seriously injured last night and it had made front page news across the board the roads would probably be safer for the rest of us this morning.

I fear you're being a bit optimistic there... I get your point though. I'd like to see a newspaper or a TV news channel take a decision to report every road death, for a week or a month or something. That MIGHT just start to get through to a few people.

Although our local news does report a lot of road deaths, mostly if it's kids, and it doesn't seem to get any better.

And of course, the old 9" spike in the middle of the steering wheel would help...

Top Bottom