Horse chestnut trees looking manky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What has happened to the conker trees (Aesculus hippocastanum) this year?
I've not noticed this in previous years.

IMG_2521.JPG

Loads of conkers, but they've gone manky and are losing their leaves.
Bit early for Autumn, eh!

:sad:

PK99

Legendary Member
What has happened to the conker trees (Aesculus hippocastanum) this year?
I've not noticed this in previous years.

View attachment 364303

Loads of conkers, but they've gone manky and are losing their leaves.
Bit early for Autumn, eh!

:sad:

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/horsechestnutleafminer

Dave 123

Legendary Member
They are rapidly falling apart in Cambridge. As well as the leaf miner there is a bleeding canker that is weakening them too.
They are being felled in many places before they drop. The last place I was HG before here there was a massive tree, but the owners refused to listen to me about its dangerous state. One morning I found one of the major limbs on the floor, 4' of it buried in the floor.... good job nobody was under it when it went!

Levo-Lon

Guru
We had 3 sixty + year old sycamores felled this year at work.. disease at the base..rotted so they could just fall over in high wind.
I won't miss them in winter and I used the mountain of wood chips to create several 100m2 areas of barked areas.

We replanted a few sapling field maples..or something like that..
There going great.
The conker trees all have a bit of canker or the leaf rot as seems the norm these days..

Globalti

Legendary Member
Rising temperatures, milder winters, increasing infestation by insects and disease. We found an Asian longhorn beetle larva in our Chinese-made sofa; apparently many British city centre trees are being eaten by them and will soon need to be felled.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yep the conker trees are loosing their leaves again this year. It's been going on for several years around here.

Edit:- My larch tree died a couple of years ago. Next door's has gone now too. Another disease apparently

Last edited:
Top Bottom