Hospital Driving- The worst?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I work in a hospital and so cycle through one every day. Has anyone else noticed how bad the car driving becomes when you get into the ground of a hospital?

Here is an example from this morning

This driver was oblivious to my existence and the existence of the oncoming 4x4.

There is something about hospitals where drivers just seem to enter a daze, where is the ward I'm looking for, is that a parking space there etc and the forget to follow any rules of the road.

Is it just hospitals or do drivers enter the daze elsewhere?

Tynan

Veteran
you're off the road so you have to expect people to behave differently, their mind is clearly going to be on other things

with all respect shortcuts through carparks etc are going to be dicey, main roads every time for me

just watched, it, classic had the odd one lately like that where you can hold your ground and wait for them to realise what's happening, plenty of observation there fella

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Eh? It's not off road it is quite a main through route along which buses travel. And it ain't a short cut, it's where I work:wacko:.

Tynan

Veteran
'through a hospital'? 'the ground of a hospital'?

smaller and less main a road is the more dicey it is imho

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
'through a hospital'? 'the ground of a hospital'?

smaller and less main a road is the more dicey it is imho

I can just hear a driver using that excuse but officer it was just a little road so I thought I was allowed to drive over cyclists.....;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
des said:
Is that at the Western General in Edinburgh?

magnatom said:
Nope. A virtual pint for the first correct guess!;)

For a clue look to the left, where it says Location...

TimO

Guru
To be fair, the only occasion I can think of that I've driven to a hospital was a few hours after I'd heard my mother was in intensive care, and I'd spent the intervening time driving down the motorway to see her, I probably wasn't at my best as a driver by that point.

I suspect that a hospital is possibly going to have more than it's fair share of distracted and poorly concentrating driver.

As far as I know, I don't mow any cyclists down! ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Fair point Tim, although the vast majority of problems I've had were with people who work in the hospital looking for parking spaces. Things might be different when parking charges are introduced later this year. More cyclists maybe....;)

Oh and I hope your mother was ok.

Cab

Closer you get to wherever people are going, the dodgier their driving. So supermarket caroparks, shopping centres, hospital carparks, etc. are all nightmares, they're all intensely looking for parking spaces and barely even looking out for other cars, let alone cycles. Its sad, but carparks bring the idiot out in many motorists.

Top Bottom