Hotel and things to do recommendations - Warsaw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The big tower in the middle(great views) , the Jewish ghetto and the rebuilt old town, the story being the poignant bit.
I haven't been for over ten years, back then it was a bit grim (lots of Soviet era concrete residential apartment blocks) when compared to Krakow and Lublin. Suspect it will have been cosmopolitanised, they were very proud of a Norman Foster building in a random area on the fringe of the city and there were lots of trendy bars and restaurants appearing.

robjh

Legendary Member
Have a look at the post-war 'MDM' district around Plac Konstytucji and along Marszałkowska, which is an example of the prestigious 'Stalinist' architecture of the time that popped up in capital cities from Kiev to East Berlin. It is all symmetrical lines of sturdy square buildings with high arcades in a sort of modernist-neoclassical mix with a distinct 1950s communist flavour. Look out for the large and rather impressive statues of heroic workers in recesses along Marszałkowska, as well as occasional architectural flourishes that are supposed to represent Polish themes, for example the 'Polish renaissance' style of Zamość.
This high-end 1950s stuff is quite different from the functional high-rise housing blocks of later years.

The Soviet War Memorial on Żwirki i Wigury is also worth a look for the highly-detailed classical-style frieze of heroic Red Army soldiers.

Other than that, there are some nice parks leading down towards the Vistula below the old town. When I was there I rode out to a flea market somewhere in the NW of the city, but it was rather underwhelming although the parks and cemetery nearby gave an insight into how ordinary Warsawers spend their Sundays.

I was last there 8 years ago, and there were signs of quite a good network of cycle paths being developed at that time, although the main arteries still meant on-road riding in heavy traffic (and with ubiquitous tram tracks!). I rode round a lot and thoroughly enjoyed it.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
One visit to the place, back in 2010 for a couple of nights (rock festival). Stayed at the Novotel Centrum (big chain hotel, but was most excellent). Ate at Polka, decor is an attack of chintz on the senses but the food makes up for it. Can't remember which museum(s) I visited, sorry...

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I was there earlier this year. It's a capital city, so a fair amount of traffic about. That said, the cyclepaths are great, although they can meander a bit and large junctions have to be crossed in stages. No problem with the car drivers, they are very considerate.
The Uprising museum is well worth a visit. It's free one day (can't recall if it's Sunday or Monday) but I'd go on a paying day as I'd imagine it would be rammed on a free day (it was busy when I went on a Wednesday).
I think the gardens to the south have free open air Chopin concerts in August and the gardens themselves are good (no cycling in them though).
In the old town the seats in the street play Chopin when you sit down and press the button, it's lovely hearing the notes as you watch the world go by.
I used the city bike system, which were fine and cheap once you'd got your head round the system.

Top Bottom