household budgeting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't budget I juggle, being on a modest wage, I took a big hit in the wallet when I was made redundant a couple of years ago, the new job doesn't pay as well, so I juggle the income and out goings. Mind you with the mortgage paid of and the kids grown up its a lot easier then it was years ago, and having the main household bills on direct debit helps spread things out and reduces nasty surprises.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Big spreadsheet which I project out to 15 years in the future, the point at which we would hope that we're finished supporting from an education viewpoint. There's a fair amount of guesswork involved in the longer range stuff and it's more a generic guide to try and minimise surprises. It does include a depreciation table for the bigger replaceables from cars through white goods and electricals to windows, doors, heating, decor, fencing, driveway, etc....doesn't include bikes though, I just sort of offset that by not replacing my car :whistle: This is only broken down into quarterly values.

I also run a month by month one that goes out for 5 years and lists every outgoing including a surplus pot to offset against replaceables under the depreciation table. The outgoings only detail the bills etc, but does include the likes of travel, kids lunch money, pocket money and factors in holidays, birthdays and Xmas. Shopping wise we have a large one delivered monthly by whichever supermarket is in favour with Jane, I think Sainsburys is the current but we've used Tesco, Asda and Waitrose as well.

We don't use credit unless unavoidable and have no debts so are rather lucky all round.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I have a spreadsheet - nothing fancy. Two pages on it:

Page 1 has everything we currently have. All balances, credit cards, money due, reward points and savings.
Page 2 has income and expenditure by month and yearly covering everything for the year

Both combined help to manage the overall finances. I do spend money, as does SWMBO, and I'm on a good salary - but without it we'd not know where we were. The only debts we have are the mortgage (paid off in 6-7 years instead of 14) and credit cards all at 0% interest rate, with the balances in savings.

Big spreadsheet which I project out to 15 years in the future, the point at which we would hope that we're finished supporting from an education viewpoint.

Ha! Education will be replaced by things like help buying a house and weddings which are far more expensive!

Nearly there

Veteran
My wifes a shopaholic if she says we need bread and milk you can bet she'll come home with more than that,the amount of food we waste is terrible makes me mad.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Im a single guy and I keep tabs on everything I spend with an excel spreadsheet..i shop in liddle as its just as good and alot cheaper than the other supermarkets...well for my needs anyway. I have shopped around for cheaper energy providers/insurance etc....and i'm in control...untill the 'big' things hit out of th eblue, like the new shifters i needed last month and the exhaust going on the car etc....

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Remind me never to cycle down-wind of you! :stop:

If often thought the slot-hole on my saddle is in the wrong place...

simon.r

Person
This thread is making me feel a lot better.

I thought I was the only one with a spreadsheet, but I'm beginning to feel inadequate as mine only covers monthly direct debits and only extends a year or so into the future!

When I was married my ex-wife 'took care':rolleyes: of our finances. I had absolutely no idea that we had £28k on credit cards:eek: The interest alone was several hundreds of pounds a month! I do have to share part of the blame as I took no interest in our finances, I left it all to her.

Never again!

I'm pleased to say that I've managed to pull the situation round over the last 4 years and the only debt I have now is a mortgage and a small amount on an interest free credit card (which will be paid off before the interest-free period expires).

postman

Legendary Member
This is interesting it seems to run alongside my post Charity giving.My wife has found that our food bill is rising.She also told me last night the car insurance is going up.Seems companies cannot give women drivers special rates.So our finances are being checked on a regular basis,hence the first ever refusal of giving to someone who asked for sponsorship for a charity do.And we are not being mean.There is only so much coming in and so much going out and the going out seems to get larger each month.

ASC1951

Guru
She also told me last night the car insurance is going up.Seems companies cannot give women drivers special rates..
Colonnade Insurance (now part of Swinton) used to do special policies for women http://www.swinton.co.uk/car-insurance/women-drivers-insurance although that may just be the Starbucks tactic of being able to charge more by making every customer feel special.
Motor insurance is such a cut-throat business that I would have thought every insurer prices risk fairly accurately these days.

simon.r

Person
Colonnade Insurance (now part of Swinton) used to do special policies for women http://www.swinton.co.uk/car-insurance/women-drivers-insurance although that may just be the Starbucks tactic of being able to charge more by making every customer feel special.
Motor insurance is such a cut-throat business that I would have thought every insurer prices risk fairly accurately these days.

As from December insurance companies will not be able to offer different premiums on the basis of gender: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

My daughter is likely to be hit hard - she currently pays £1200 a year, whereas her male friends in virtually identical situations pay about £3000 a year.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ha! Education will be replaced by things like help buying a house and weddings which are far more expensive!

I know but those things fall into the category of we'll do what we can, no point in detailed planning for the impossible, it's the equivalent of planning how to spend a lottery win. Though they do have the advantage of having no cousins, no chance of cousins and 1.5 sets of grandparents that dote on them and are fairly wealthy.

ASC1951

Guru
As from December insurance companies will not be able to offer different premiums on the basis of gender: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610
I had completely forgotten that!:blush:

It's barking mad, IMO. I'm all for equality when there is no factual difference - that is discriminatory - but not when different treatment is justified by different circumstances. Women are a better driving risk overall, so they should have cheaper insurance.

Top Bottom