Household finances voyeurism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
To retire early, yes.

You need an absolutely massive pot of money to retire early. Most of us will be working until we drop! :sad:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...afford-to-quit-work-and-travel-the-world.html

That's not to retire at state age though...he has expectations of £20,000 a year and never working again, which is very different to full retirement at normal age and slighty unrealistic in anyones terms...the majority have never been able to retire early. Get yourself a job with a stakeholder pension, where your employer contributes and that's half the magic. Shop around for your retirement income when you come to that age and, again, you'll be better off...state pension will probably end up making up around a quarter to a third of your income and if your lucky enough to own a house at that point, you'll also have the equity from that to fall back on, from which you can also derive an income, or whatever else you might fancy. It's not all doom and gloom Tim :smile:

MarkF

Guru
You need an absolutely massive pot of money to retire early. Most of us will be working until we drop! :sad:

Oh well, hospitals are rammed with fat and unhealthy retired people.

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh well, hospitals are rammed with fat and unhealthy staff .

I have changed that a little Mark, the shape of some of the people working in Lincoln is disgusting and will be a burden on the NHS in terms of sick pay ad early retirement.

MarkF

Guru
I have changed that a little Mark, the shape of some of the people working in Lincoln is disgusting and will be a burden on the NHS in terms of sick pay ad early retirement.

I'd agree, I work in hospital and I've never seen so many fat people (staff), it's incredible.

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'd agree, I work in hospital and I've never seen so many fat people (staff), it's incredible.
Have we got to the point yet where significant numbers of people are dying before reaching pensionable age, or do the medical interventions keep these unhealthy people alive?

It's rare to see people who are both fat and elderly isn't it? What's the average life expectancy reduction for obesity?

screenman

Legendary Member
A BMI of 30 or more can be 7 years less, but for me it is also about quality of life.

Try this little trick, pick up a 5 gallon container of water and see how far you can comfortable walk with it, and that is only 3.5 stone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A BMI of 30 or more can be 7 years less, but for me it is also about quality of life.

Try this little trick, pick up a 5 gallon container of water and see how far you can comfortable walk with it, and that is only 3.5 stone.
I had a BMI of about 30.5 when I got ill (now down to 22).Yes, it was a lot of surplus weight to cart around with me. Cycling or walking over our big local hills was really hard. My knees were getting very painful - I thought they were arthritic. It turns out that they were just telling me to lose weight, since they are fine now that I have!

I have lost 66 pounds/30 kgs - equivalent to 30 litres of water. Try picking up six 5 litre containers of water and you will certainly think that a lot!

midlife

Guru
Have we got to the point yet where significant numbers of people are dying before reaching pensionable age, or do the medical interventions keep these unhealthy people alive?

It's rare to see people who are both fat and elderly isn't it? What's the average life expectancy reduction for obesity?

Dying before pensionable age question is being answered by raising the pensionable age. I think mine is 67 but not checked :smile: the days are fast disappearing when professions like teachers can retire on 75% of pay after 30 years work .....

Shaun

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
It's also answered by mortality rates. We, as a species, are living a lot longer these days...which might bankrupt everything, if we're not too careful. Min retirement age will carry on increasing...

Dying before pensionable age question is being answered by raising the pensionable age. I think mine is 67 but not checked :smile: the days are fast disappearing when professions like teachers can retire on 75% of pay after 30 years work .....

Shaun

Thing is that you shouldn't need 75% to retire on. By the time you're retired you should have paid off your house. You don't need to save any more for retirement. You don't have the expenses of going to work.

I know it's an old thread but interesting to revisit how things have changed over the last 7 years or so.

midlife

Guru
Thing is that you shouldn't need 75% to retire on. By the time you're retired you should have paid off your house. You don't need to save any more for retirement. You don't have the expenses of going to work.

I know it's an old thread but interesting to revisit how things have changed over the last 7 years or so.

Pondering retirement, 63 this year and pay off most of my mortgage at 67. Still have youngest to get through uni. Inflation not encouraging me to retire either.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I paid off my mortgage at the age of 50 and had already set aside funds for both children's university education/ house/travelling so there's no major expenses there.

It means we don't have a large house since we'd put money into both the above but from September it'll probably be just the two of us.

We should both have decent public sector pensions (mine Teacher's as I'm at a post-1992 university, SWMBO'S NHS) so can currently afford to retire at 60 as long as there's small bit of part-time income to tide us over until 67 and the state pension.

Financial planning has been checked and pensions (SWMBO has one, I've others) plus alternative 'pension' investments - watches/antique books/paintings - are all doing OK :okay:

PK99

Legendary Member
I paid off my mortgage at the age of 50 and had already set aside funds for both children's university education/ house/travelling so there's no major expenses there.

It means we don't have a large house since we'd put money into both the above but from September it'll probably be just the two of us.

We should both have decent public sector pensions (mine Teacher's as I'm at a post-1992 university, SWMBO'S NHS) so can currently afford to retire at 60 as long as there's small bit of part-time income to tide us over until 67 and the state pension.

Financial planning has been checked and pensions (SWMBO has one, I've others) plus alternative 'pension' investments - watches/antique books/paintings - are all doing OK :okay:

You made excellent lifestyle choices.

A few years ago, we met a couple from Victoria BC, Canada, on a Cycling tour in Provence. He had been an orthodontist (megabucks in Canada/USA). Aged mid 60's he lived 6 months of the year in BC, 6 months in Phoenix.

As he put it: When working, most of his dentistry colleagues had lived the lives of millionaires - and in their 60's/70's were still working to fund that lifestyle. He on the other hand, had chosen to live a modest but very affluent lifestyle and invested well, he was now a millionaire and living the lifestyle.

Top Bottom