Hove Punch Cyclist update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

Gotta relax more on the roads, life is stressful enough as it is. It only leads to misery... I used to be terrible for shouting at other road users, especially from inside my safety cage :angry: I still do it a bit, though since taking up karate it has dimished a lot. I yelled at those two drivers yesterday but it was more out of self-preservation than fury :tongue:

kashiy

Regular
Ive had times when i can relate to how the cyclist felt. It was a loss of control and pure bad luck on his part. Nonetheless I wonder how it would have turned out if the cyclist had been killed by the man opening the door. There must be cases where this has happened....

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think we need to make the distiction: the punch wasnt thrown by the man who missed the door. He was riding behind. It wasnt his fight to have and thats what makes it even more sad

betty swollocks

large member
Adrenalin: it's adrenalin. makes rational people sometimes do irrational things, out-of-character things.
This time with disastrous consequences.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A disaster for everyone involved, with a tiny ray of light in that the guy did the decent thing pleaded guilty and spared the deceased's family the pain of a trial. Terribly sad situation for everyone concerned.

I think we need to make the distiction: the punch wasnt thrown by the man who missed the door. He was riding behind. It wasnt his fight to have and thats what makes it even more sad

Sometimes its sad that people just accept being cut up, having doors opened on them, being squeezed at pinch points etc...

Shitty thing to do of course.

And I do agree, if it was the other way around (door killed a rider) probably just a few points.

asterix

Comrade Member
Ive had times when i can relate to how the cyclist felt. It was a loss of control and pure bad luck on his part. Nonetheless I wonder how it would have turned out if the cyclist had been killed by the man opening the door. There must be cases where this has happened....

Nearly to me. Was out for 24 hours after. They never found the culprit as he left a false address with witnesses and left the scene asap.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've had a couple of doors flung open on me. Once really close in the mid-2000s. Had to stop, compose myself. Driver came over and apologised. I tend to ride well out now, but theres always going to be times when you forget or are trying to pick good ground to ride over.

As DrS said, it is sad that many accept doorings, being cut up etc. Fight with Politics I say, I know we all are prone to losing our rag when the last straw breaks the horses back....

Lurker

TfL gives 'dooring' (whether hitting an open door or swerving to avoid an open(ing) door as the fourth common cause of cyclist/other vehicle conflict. It's a very significant contributor to serious injuries of cyclists (and occasionally deaths) in London, certainly.

Bicycle

This is a very sad story.

I'm not sure it's a 'cycling' story - beyond the point that it was reported as one in the 'paper.

The point that made it newsworthy is that the victim behaved in a way that made the cyclist take violent, aggressive action.

The 'story' is that the punch caused the poor chap to fall and the fall killed him.

The 'trigger' (in this case a swinging car door) is not really a part of the story.

Top Bottom