How about Cycle Republic's bikes and services?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Got a Bike Hut track pump and am happy with that. Had it three years now I think

subaqua

What’s the point
The one off fenchurch street is a bit hit n miss , lots of expensive carbon, but not so much midrange/budget

The guy that served me last time used to work at Evans London Bridge, which was meh but now seems to have improved.

Good stock range of accessories .

My friend recommended me to buy bikes in Cycle Republic since it serves professional bikes. But I am not familiar with Cycle Republic. Does anyone who has bought bikes in Cycle Republic? How about the quality of bikes and services there?
Halfords essentially. They're okay, the quality of service etc can be variable from branch to branch, but I've not had too many issues with them.

Ride2017

How about the quality of bikes and services there?

When the Warren Street (London) branch opened they had a half price service offer which I took advantage of. Service was of a good standard BUT was left feeling somewhat suspicious at the number of components that needed to be replaced due to being nearly worn out I.e. Ultegra chain with around 1k miles on it.

Prefer Evans of the chains as they seem to have a much larger range in stock and price match.

J1888

Über Member
When the Warren Street (London) branch opened they had a half price service offer which I took advantage of. Service was of a good standard BUT was left feeling somewhat suspicious at the number of components that needed to be replaced due to being nearly worn out I.e. Ultegra chain with around 1k miles on it.

Prefer Evans of the chains as they seem to have a much larger range in stock and price match.

Did they ring and ask before changing the parts?

Yes, oddly? they didn't put up too much resistance when I questioned their opinion that various components needed replacing after such little use.
Most people who get their bikes "serviced", do it annually so parts that routinely wear out should be replaced if they will wear out in the next 12 months.

If you only want parts replaced when they are worn out, then get each problem addressed as it occurs.

(for the record, Evans tried to convince me once that my jockey wheels needed replacing, when I had just replaced them.)

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I've not had any problems with Halfords but the service will vary with staff. The stuff on sale is a bit variable - some good things and some rubbish.
The change in service level also affects independent bike shops. One local,shop had a good service until one of the workers left. He was probably too good for them.^_^

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Yes, oddly? they didn't put up too much resistance when I questioned their opinion that various components needed replacing after such little use.
I think it is the old Halfords problem, their training/quality control/whatever seems a bit hit and miss and you can either get someone into bikes or a total spanner.

Last time I took my KnackeredBike in for a service they did an impressive amount of work and fitted several components for £50. They have also been readjusting things after a month or two on the spot and matching/bettering other offers. They are cheaper than my LBS so I split my custom between the two.

Ys123

Regular
I bought a Carrera Parva Mens from Cycle Republic recently (https://www.cyclerepublic.com/carrera-parva-mens-hybrid-bike-2017-1.html) for £184 and I would buy another bike from them any day but I wouldn't use them for repairs.
I've done over 100miles with it over the last 2weeks and I'm loving it. Although the pedal came off within the first few miles of riding it (it had been put in incorrectly) I went back in and they sorted it out (although it took a week as they had to order a new crank).

Interestingly it was advertised as being on offer at £230 (down from £330), but on their own website it was selling at £184! They priced matched it to their own website (as funny as it sounds).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Interestingly it was advertised as being on offer at £230 (down from £330), but on their own website it was selling at £184! They priced matched it to their own website (as funny as it sounds).
In other words, they merely honoured their own advertising? (unless the website price was clearly marked as web-only)

Ys123

Regular
In other words, they merely honoured their own advertising? (unless the website price was clearly marked as web-only)
Ye, but is it normal for the website to have a different price than in-store? I mean it's the same bike from the same shop...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ye, but is it normal for the website to have a different price than in-store? I mean it's the same bike from the same shop...

Yes - they're part of the Halfords empire and they quite often have different prices on-line to in store. I always check (even to the point of looking on my phone while I'm in the queue) and ask them to price match, which they always do. To be fair, some staff will even ask if you want them to price check - and why would anyone ever say no?

Does the 10% BC discount work there, or is that just a Halfords thing?

Top Bottom