How about some proper modernism 100 odd years on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Vienna Steiner House 1910

Could be the very first proper modernist house? Great stuff.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Quick shout for the Scandinavians, Villa Mairea, Alver Aalto 1938.

1687017865231.png

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When i took the kids to the Eden Project i had planned to snick off the day after to visit Lutyen's Castle Drogo ... closed for essential repairs, doh!
View attachment 695171

One of our local walks - we only get as far as the cafe!

Sharky

Guru

I remember my parents looking through the brochure for NAG housings and we're tempted, but choose a more conventional semi in nearby Sutton At Hone. Back then, NAG had a thriving village feel to it with a pub, shops and a Sunday Market. Alas the ending of Sunday trading restrictions and the opening of shopping centres like Bluewater have turned it into a bit of a run down area.

The posher houses are still very attractive, but the cheaper houses seem a bit run down now.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I remember my parents looking through the brochure for NAG housings and we're tempted, but choose a more conventional semi in nearby Sutton At Hone. Back then, NAG had a thriving village feel to it with a pub, shops and a Sunday Market. Alas the ending of Sunday trading restrictions and the opening of shopping centres like Bluewater have turned it into a bit of a run down area.

The posher houses are still very attractive, but the cheaper houses seem a bit run down now.

If I remember they had some restricted rules for the owners eg certain days when it was permissible to hang washing out.

Spent a whole day there as a young teen on a class day out! It was an exciting development for adults at the time but not for us schoolkids - we had to draw maps, do traffic surveys and talk to village residents and shop owners etc.

It probably had some relevance to my future life but it didn't feel like it at the time!

Sharky

Guru
If I remember they had some restricted rules for the owners eg certain days when it was permissible to hang washing out.

Spent a whole day there as a young teen on a class day out! It was an exciting development for adults at the time but not for us schoolkids - we had to draw maps, do traffic surveys and talk to village residents and shop owners etc.

It probably had some relevance to my future life but it didn't feel like it at the time!

I seem to recall there were restrictions.
It had a vibrant resturant - Jake's which was popular. My parents had their Ruby wedding there. Must have been in 1988, but sadly now closed.

Top Bottom