How about this for a beginner??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
They're quite a high-geared bike, there was a Cycling Plus article last year with it in and they marked it down because of that. It might be worth looking for something with a compact on it depending on your fitness levels. For a beginner something like a 50-34 front chainset and 12-27 rear cassette would give you a good range of gears, especially for hill climbing. Or look for something with a triple chainset.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Jimbo - you need to remember not everyone is a serious audaxer like you.

Jamie asks as a beginner. I think 39" is a little high for a beginner - especially in a hilly area.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Is it not 40.5"? A bit high for a beginner I think and could take the enjoyment out of riding if Jamie finds 10% hills steep as I did when I started out.

jimboalee

Moodyman said:
Jimbo - you need to remember not everyone is a serious audaxer like you.

Jamie asks as a beginner. I think 39" is a little high for a beginner - especially in a hilly area.

When I was presented my first 'multi gear' proper bike, a Halfords Olympic in 1972, it had a single 48 tooth ring with a 14 to 26 five speed freewheel.
It was hi-ten with steel 26 x 1 3/8" tyres and was a 'youth's sports tourer'. It was heavier than the CB San Remo.

I was so chuffed my parents had shelled out the £29.99, I rode with my friends to Meriden ( 6 miles ) and then up the 10% to the Triumph motorcycle factory.

Work the gear out for yourself. It was a lot higher than many adults would use to ride up a 10%, let alone an eleven year old.

I rode that bike until I bought my Pug in 1975. Before it was broken up, I rode it to Bridgnorth on a daytrip to see relatives.
Bridgnorth is now one of my 100 km Audax DIY routes. ;)

OP
OP
J

jamie8c

I am sooooo lost!! My biking experience amounts to 2 bmx's, a raleigh activator and some other 21 speed raleigh when i was about 14. I dont think any bike i have ever owned cost more than 100-150!

Sorry for being so dumb!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Some people arent good up hills.

I have no idea how good I am with hills, since I dont encounter many, and the ones I do encounter must be climbed at 12mph in 85" (this will give an indication of how negligable these hills must be).

But I cannot imagine the lowest gear of less than 40" being too much an issue for most people unless they are planning on heading up very steep hills. You can always alter the gearing in the future if you find it troublesome and like the bike in question.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
jamie8c said:
I am sooooo lost!! My biking experience amounts to 2 bmx's, a raleigh activator and some other 21 speed raleigh when i was about 14. I dont think any bike i have ever owned cost more than 100-150!

Sorry for being so dumb!!

It all depends on the local terrain - if it's hilly then you really need a triple (3 chainrings with a small granny ring) or a compact double( 34/50 where the 34 is the smaller chainring as opposed to the standard 39/52) both of which make life easier on the hills.

A regards the bike see this thread

https://www.cyclechat.net/

personally I'd aim a little higher if poss with something like this

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

jimboalee

Confused?

There are some people on this forum who won't go to the gym because it doesn't have an escalator from the car park to the entrance door.

Top Bottom