How Best To Repair ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

93Rangie

Regular
I’m after some advice please….shown is a small dent in the top tube of a Dave Russell 531 frame.

The frame will need a respray as the paintwork is in general poor with several patches as shown in the photo in different places on the bike.

As far as I can see my options would be to have the top tube replaced totally or frame block and fill. My temptation given it’s a steel frame is the latter.

The dent isn’t deep, not creased and no bulge in the surrounding tube.

Taking the paintwork back to bare metal isn’t an issue as frame needs a respray as I’m going to rebuild this Dave Russell which has all of its original Campagnolo group set minus brake levers.

Your advices and thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• A0C513F2-E267-4101-9F4D-47060A24FC4D.jpeg
    A0C513F2-E267-4101-9F4D-47060A24FC4D.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 9

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Probably fill it given what you've said and the photo.

OP
OP
93Rangie

93Rangie

Regular
Probably fill it given what you've said and the photo.
Thankyou @fossyant…..filling it seems to be the popular vote !

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Looks too deep to me. OK for a down tube (in tension) but not for a top tube (in compression). I'd want a new tube, if the frame was worth the £180 cost.

OP
OP
93Rangie

93Rangie

Regular
Looks too deep to me. OK for a down tube (in tension) but not for a top tube (in compression). I'd want a new tube, if the frame was worth the £180 cost.
Thanks @rogerzilla its a bike I want to restore as an original Dave Russell and virtually identical in terms of frame design and groupset to the DR I had in my early 20s to time trial.

Top Bottom