How big do electric bikes have to be,before they conform to motorcycles etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Here in Meanwood and Headingley we have had a big increase in what i can call super electric bicycles.These things have enormous tyres,Some are used for delivering food as Headingley is full of student lets which i suppose these are the takeaway customers.Sadly we have near us an estate with a bad name,we have quad bikes tearing up and down the main road in threes,the local FB is always asking does anyone know what street these leave from,but today as i was walking to the decorating job,an electric bike came down weaving through the traffic went through a red light,rider had no hemet but he did have a nice little shoulder bag across his chest.No respect for rules or property or people.Are these things supposed to be taxed amd insured,because i am sick and tired of the abuse we cyclists get in the media about stupid number plates,insurance amd tax,these new monsters and yes i am going to say it ,around here low lifes.I dont see media hounding these people and their bikes which are more dangerous than half a dozen of us on the road.Come on Mr Plod take a few off the road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Answer: If motor power is more than 250 W or the motor does not cut out at speeds over 25 kph (15.5 mph).

classic33

Leg End Member
Answer: If motor power is more than 250 W or the motor does not cut out at speeds over 25 kph (15.5 mph).
E-assist requires the pedals to be turning while the motor is helping the rider.
More and more people on these bikes don't pedal. The motor is doing all the work.

They require VED, insurance, registration, and over three years old, an annual MOT. The rider also requires the relevant license, and protective headwear. A normal cycling helmet is insufficient.

Here in Meanwood and Headingley .... Some are used for delivering food as Headingley is full of student lets which i suppose these are the takeaway customers.

Not at this time of year, the universities are on their summer break. Some foreign students may have remained but most of the UK based students will not be in their digs right now.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
E-assist requires the pedals to be turning while the motor is helping the rider.
More and more people on these bikes don't pedal. The motor is doing all the work.

They require VED, insurance, registration, and over three years old, an annual MOT. The rider also requires the relevant license, and protective headwear. A normal cycling helmet is insufficient.

Yep.
If they go without pedalling they aren’t E bikes.
I saw one today with a massive headlight on the front. It was basically a moped but the rider had no helmet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are more and more illegal bikes about. The 'stealth bombers' are basically electric MX (motoross) bikes - see too many whizzing in and out of traffic here, they have replaced the noisy petrol ones - probably harder for the cops to catch them as they are near silent.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was out on my "normal" pedal bike recently when a very illegal e-bike pulled alongside me. The rider asked me if I wanted a race, then pulled away at a rate which I would have been proud of on my recently sold Honda VFR 800. While doing about 30 mph he then pulled a wheelie! During the whole acceleration and wheelie thing, not a pedal was turned. It was quite impressive to be honest, but as ownership of these things increases they are going to become a real problem.

T4tomo

Guru
conversely, I've seen a couple of mornings lately someone on a old fashioned "pedal as you go" moped. If I was on my road bike I reckon I could outpace it.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
My ebike looks a bit like a motorbike, but is 250w and pedal assist only. Thing is, it's pretty hilly where I live, so I expect when I'm freewheeling down a hill on this, people assume it's throttle controlled, which it isn't.

PXL_20220513_121251673.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220513_121251673.jpg
    PXL_20220513_121251673.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 6

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Yep.
If they go without pedalling they aren’t E bikes.
I saw one today with a massive headlight on the front. It was basically a moped but the rider had no helmet.

Yes, becoming an issue here too. Seen quite a few 'yoof' on these things - nearly all wearing the ninja style balaclava - press a button & its whoosh!...instant(ish) 30-40mph, no need for pedalling. Even more fun with no lights at night racing on cyclepaths :blush: .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In London, there are probably more electric bikes (most illegal) then normal pedal bikes these days. Most ridden by food delivery drivers.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I was recently made aware of this one - Eskuta SX-250. They are literally selling it on being designed like a motorbike. I'd hate to pedal it without any assistance though! Many years ago my first powered two-wheeler was a Honda PA50 Camino. This had pedals and a 49cc engine so was a moped that you could ride from age 16. You could theoretically cycle it under pedal power alone but the ergonomics of doing so were knackering... and this Eskuta looks just as bad.

Top Bottom