How can I align my front wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

um123

Hello everyone,
I bought this bike second hand a while back, and I've realised my front wheel is very misaligned (Pics attached), it looks much worse when I am riding though.
Can anyone help me out?
I've heard it needs to be 'dished', if so what would equipment would I need for that?

Thanks!

20230302_160216.jpg

20230302_160158.jpg

20230302_160142.jpg

20230302_160201.jpg

Sharky

Guru
If this was a rim brake set up, I would think that you would just need to loosen the QR, centralise the wheel using your hand and retighten.

Having disc brake, it might need further tweaking in this area.

Does the wheel spin in a constant plane?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Weird, could have had a bash which has caused this. Turn the bike upside down and remove the wheel. Sight down the frame. Does the drop out align with the rear?
If it is the wheel are the spokes tight? Any play in the axle?
New fork will solve it if the former. Spoke key or possibly new bearings or just adjustment for the latter.

:welcome: to the forum

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

um123

If this was a rim brake set up, I would think that you would just need to loosen the QR, centralise the wheel using your hand and retighten.

Having disc brake, it might need further tweaking in this area.

Does the wheel spin in a constant plane?

Yeah, the wheel spins fine, maybe very slightly off plane when I look at it from above, can't really tell as its minimal, I will give your suggestion a try though
Thanks

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As an afterthought it’s quite unusual to see a fork like this on a hybrid, I’m guessing this is what it is. So I’m assuming it’s a budget bike. Budget bikes often don’t have very good QC on components so it could be faulty manufacturing in which case a replacement is the cure. Shouldn’t be expensive.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if the forks aren't bent, then maybe you are aligning the wheel to the disc calipers, rather than getting the wheel straight in the drop outs and then aligning the calipers to the disc - simply slack off the mounting bolts, apply the brakes and then tighten bolts carefully

Top Bottom