How can I get comfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

London Female

Über Member
I have been riding my new bike for almost two weeks and I have been suffering from neck and shoulder pain. I have tried changing the height of the bars to no avail. While out riding with a group tonight it was mentioned that they thought the bike frame was too small however, it is the same size as my previous bike. My old bike was flat bar with bar ends and the new one has drop bars, I was not able to ride on the drops as my knees hit my arms so maybe it is too small?? I was measured by the shop for the correct size.

Any suggestions please. Many thanks.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Have a proper bike fit. I did last week and the difference is stunning. I did a thread on it so do have a look.

vickster

Legendary Member
It sounds rather small, maybe a longer stem, or flip the one you have to raise up a bit. What bike is it, what size and how tall are you? Roadbikes often have more compact frames - what was old bike and what size?

Otherwise, perhaps you just need to get used to it?

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
Have a proper bike fit. I did last week and the difference is stunning. I did a thread on it so do have a look.

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I don't have the money to do that at the moment. The shop did take lots of measurements to ensure it was set up correctly for me though.

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
It sounds rather small, maybe a longer stem, or flip the one you have to raise up a bit. What bike is it, what size and how tall are you? Roadbikes often have more compact frames - what was old bike and what size?

Otherwise, perhaps you just need to get used to it?

My old bike is a hybrid 43cm frame, very comfortable. The new bike is a Thorn Audax also 43cm. I am 5ft 2.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Where did you buy it? I only ask as I spotted you said you were measured to ensure it was the right size for you. In many of the bigger chains who shall remain nameless they have a list which says things like if you are 5"4 then you must need this size frame. It's not as easy as that.

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
I'd go back to the shop and ask them to look again

I am going to call them tomorrow. I was not allowed to take the bike on a test ride however they have a 14 day money back guarantee if you don't like the bike after riding it for that time to compensate, I am running out of time so need to find a solution or send it back.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is this the bike you discussed before with all the spacers? What size are the bars? The wrong width can cause issues, as of course reach

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
Where did you buy it? I only ask as I spotted you said you were measured to ensure it was the right size for you. In many of the bigger chains who shall remain nameless they have a list which says things like if you are 5"4 then you must need this size frame. It's not as easy as that.

I went to Thorn in Bridgewater, they did lots of measurements and were very thorough but I only did 16 miles tonight and was uncomfortable for almost all of that. On my old bike I was doing upto 55 miles with no problems.

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
Is this the bike you discussed before with all the spacers? What size are the bars? The wrong width can cause issues, as of course reach

Yes its the same bike, I have been back and forth to my local bike shop to move the bars down then up again to try different things. The bars are 42cm however, they fitted the wrong bars and I ended up with anatomical instead of compacts.They have apologised and will change them free of charge. The anatomical bars have a deep drop so I wondered if this is why my knees were touch my arms when in the drops.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds so, on a 42cm, your saddle will be pretty close to the bars, even if you are small. Why haven't the bars been changed yet? The 14 day cooling off should start when that is sorted as of course the bike won't work for you if it's wrong. 42cm bars are wide. My Pearson was fitted with 42cm bars, now have a 38cm compact and I am 5'10 and pretty broad!

Have you compared all of the geometry of the two bikes, not just the crossbar?

Top Bottom