How can I make myself an administrator, Windows 7?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As part of setting up my Windows-reinstalled laptop, I changed my user account to let me log in without using a password (using netplwiz). Now I can't do anything! Every time I try to install a program or something similar, I get:

upload_2019-3-3_23-18-59.png

There is no way or place to type an administrator password, and Yes is greyed out.

I've been googling, but it's all about changing your account - which you can't do, because you get the same message. Or boot into safe mode, and try changing your account - but you get the same message.

I'm apparently only a guest on my own computer, so I can't make myself an administrator, because only an administrator can do that, and I'm just a guest.

This Catch 22 is driving me nuts. Does anyone have the answer? There surely has to be one.

lazyfatgit

Do you have a previous redtore point you can revert to?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've no idea if this will work, but here is what Microsoft say...….
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rator-in/eddfcdc1-d024-446f-ab8c-a5f1ae0ddf43

BTW, I always print out the article so I'm not constantly trying to swap between screens while following instructions.
Thanks, but no joy. As with anything else I try to do to extricate myself from this cul de sac, I can't do it, because I have to 'type in an administrator password, then click Yes', but there is nowhere to type. Even for Microsoft, this takes stupidity in software design to a new level.

Nope, there's no way round it. I'm going to have to re-re-install Windows from scratch, purely because of this. Bonkers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks, but no joy. As with anything else I try to do to extricate myself from this cul de sac, I can't do it, because I have to 'type in an administrator password, then click Yes', but there is nowhere to type. Even for Microsoft, this takes stupidity in software design to a new level.

Nope, there's no way round it. I'm going to have to re-re-install Windows from scratch, purely because of this. Bonkers.

That's your only answer. Re-install. PS, do you have the full software license code ? - I'd recommend installing Windows 10.

When asked, type in your Window's 7 code, and Microsoft will accept it - they are still allowing upgrades. It's better than 7. I've done this twice recently.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Try going to edit password for the admin account and leaving the existing password as blank.
Sadly I can't do this - I'm not an administrator!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's your only answer. Re-install. PS, do you have the full software license code ? - I'd recommend installing Windows 10.

When asked, type in your Window's 7 code, and Microsoft will accept it - they are still allowing upgrades. It's better than 7. I've done this twice recently.
I have 10 on my desktop...TBH I am easy between 7/10, 7 works for me. And yes - I have a key.

classic33

Leg End Member
How to Enable the Built-in Administrator Account:

• 1. Click Start,and then type the phrase command prompt in the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu. Do not press Enter.

2. In the search results list, right-click on Command Prompt, and then select Run as Administrator.

3. When you are prompted by User Account Control (UAC), click Continue.

4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes,and then press ENTER.

5. Type net user administrator {Password},and then press ENTER. Note: Please replace the {Password} tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.

6. Type exit,and then press ENTER.

7. Log out, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detai...trator-account-in-windows-vista®-and-windows®

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
How to Enable the Built-in Administrator Account:

• 1. Click Start,and then type the phrase command prompt in the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu. Do not press Enter.

2. In the search results list, right-click on Command Prompt, and then select Run as Administrator.

3. When you are prompted by User Account Control (UAC), click Continue.

4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes,and then press ENTER.

5. Type net user administrator {Password},and then press ENTER. Note: Please replace the {Password} tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.

6. Type exit,and then press ENTER.

7. Log out, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21797/~/how-to-enable-the-built-in-administrator-account-in-windows-vista®-and-windows®
Same old same old, I'm afraid. '...type in an administrator password', but nowhere to type. Nope, I gave up & reinstalled. So far so good. Thanks to all who tried to help. Absolutely crazy that such a basic & fundamental glitch should still be there in a program that's been around for 30+ years.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Why you even need to have an administrator on a personal computer beats me. Its not like all our homes are offices with multiple machines that need someone to supervise them all and authorise the use of software. Microsoft annoy me with stuff like this.

Milzy

Guru
Same old same old, I'm afraid. '...type in an administrator password', but nowhere to type. Nope, I gave up & reinstalled. So far so good. Thanks to all who tried to help. Absolutely crazy that such a basic & fundamental glitch should still be there in a program that's been around for 30+ years.
Just install windows 10, it’s miles better. Especially when it’s on an SSD & boots up within a few seconds.

Top Bottom