How can I open this jar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In case of emergency i.e. next time. Go to one of those disability aids shops, there are a few about now and ask for a jar gripping tool (I don't know what it's called but that's what it does), it has various sizes of gripper and opens like a nut cracker. The one we have even has a crown cork remover.

ASC1951

Guru
User1314 said:
Get a tin opener. The old fashioned one with a little sharp point.

Just lift a bit of the rim of the lid all the way round. Then just lift it off instead of screwing it off.
The lids are kept on by the partial vacuum, especially with big jars. Just jabbing the point through the lid is usually enough to reduce the opening pressure.

Then rubber gloves or a wet cloth.

My mum bought me something from Betterware or somewhere like that, it is a large dome like cap with ridges that you put over the top and then you can get your hand around it and just twist. It nearly always works. The other way is to get one of those wine bottle openers, which has a gadget attached to just lift the lid WITHOUT making a hole in it.
Sometimes if you grip too hard you can pull a muscle in your neck, which is quite painful (wimp).

Quick jar (well, urn) opening story.
I once worked for a large shipping company. The magnate of the company died, his wishes were that his ashes would be divided up and scattered on the seven seas by whichever ship was plying its trade on a suitable route.
Whilst crossing the Atlantic one of the vessels I worked on (wasn't on it at the time) stopped to scatter the ashes. Crew were unable to unscrew lid of the urn and eventually resorted to drilling a hole in the bottom to get them out whilst causing as little damage as possible to the urn.
One of the crew was to discover a couple of days later the urn actually had a left hand thread.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Two words: Samurai sword.

JediGoat

Formerly Phump
As OTH mentions, I also go for the "turn it upside down and give it a sharp rap on a solid surface". It was recommended by my cookery teacher many moons ago, and it has never failed to work...in addition, it gives me rather a lot of satisfaction to whack the b*gger on the floor when normal opening techniques have defeated me.

I've never broken a jar doing it. :biggrin:

Yet.

;)

safe.jpg

Ok next task.....How do I open this^?

Top Bottom