How can I service these hubs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luegolover

Hi,

I want to adjust these hubs but don't know how to. i have removed the grub screws but can't see how the thing is adjusted. any ideas?

IMG_2098.jpg

U

User6179

Try an Allen key inside axel .

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I suspect the bit with the allen grub screw is a cover that slides off the spindle, and behind that is probably a sealed bearing. If it is sealed, the bearings cannot be adjusted, but can be re-greased with care and patience by popping out the seals. The alternative is to replace the sealed bearing as a complete unit.

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

Thanks for the replies,

The wheels were hand made and so are not from any bike.

The axel doesn't appear to have an allen key facility, it is circular all the way along its length.

There is a slight play in the hub and the bearings feel like they are in need of some grease. I could imagine that they are sealed units that need replacing but for the life of me I can't see how I get to them. I'm not a cycle mechanic but at the same time I am not a numpty with a spanner hence why I'm asking on here.

Tim Hall

From the shape of the hub, it looks like it's a cup and cone bearing. If you loosen the grub screw, can you unscrew the collar? The serrated washer thing may slide off first.

400bhp

Guru
Thanks for the replies,

The wheels were hand made and so are not from any bike.

The axel doesn't appear to have an allen key facility, it is circular all the way along its length.

There is a slight play in the hub and the bearings feel like they are in need of some grease. I could imagine that they are sealed units that need replacing but for the life of me I can't see how I get to them. I'm not a cycle mechanic but at the same time I am not a numpty with a spanner hence why I'm asking on here.

Are you sure? Check both ends. Even stick an allen key in them, sometimes it's hard to tell.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..

My inclination would be cartridge bearings.

Once you've taken out the grub screws you need to remove the end caps.

They should rotate off but may need some encouragement.

With a rubber mallet, or bit of wood and hammer, gently tap the end of the axle.

This should help to loosen the cap on the other end and you should be able to twist them off.

Then all will be revealed ... cartridge or cup/cone.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
A lot of cheap hubs were made to fit solely through friction.

I would expect that the end piece should prise away with gentle persuasion working around it. Then the light coloured seal should come away.

Top Bottom