How can I work out how hard a route will be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onlyhuman

Suppose I map out a route on mapmyride, is there some way of gauging how demanding it will be, and comparing it to other routes? And how can I work out how long it might take me?

mr Mag00

rising member
there is an elevation tool

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

Ok, I've got the elevation details for the ride I did yesterday, and one I might try at the weekend. How do I use them?

jamesxyz

the bigger the spikes the steeper the hill!!

however, this can be misleading - the elevation is an average gradiant over a certain distance i.e. a mile. On mapmyride the elevation tool is always the same width on the screen therefore if you plot a longer ride the gradiants won't seem so steep as the average out over the whole distance - a short ride will seem more 'hilly' but might not necessarily be. For example I plotted the Ryedale RUmble 2 (70 odd miles) I knew the steepest bit for this would be Blakey Bank. the section on the mapmyride elevation which included this hill showed an average gradiant of about 10% or so but if you just plotted the route from the bottom of the hill to the top and missed out the rest of the ride the actual average gradiant for the hill is something like 18% !!

Hope this makes sense.

peanut

MGBLemonrider said:
I'm new to this lark and have been using mapmyride, and noticed this short coming.
However through a topic elsewhere on this forum there's http://bikehike.co.uk
which produces a more detailed elevation

welcome to the forum MGB thats a very good suggestion.

Bikehike have an excellent elevation profile. Just select 'course creater' and tick the box 'show elevation data' and then draw your route. Double click to end the route then wherever you click on the profile it will show you where that part of the hill is on the main map section;) simples

ps are you a fellow MGB enthusiast perchance ? restored lots over the years, still got lots of books and parts left over:biggrin:

MGBLemonrider

peanut said:
welcome to the forum MGB thats a very good suggestion.

ps are you a fellow MGB enthusiast perchance ? restored lots over the years, still got lots of books and parts left over:biggrin:

Thank you....Yes but that's not it.
MGB are my initials and the Lemon refers to my motorcycle a Motor Guzzi V11 Lemans. Affectionately known as lemons, just because they're temperamental Italians doesn't necessarily make them bad.

peanut

MGBLemonrider said:
MGB are my initials and the Lemon refers to my motorcycle a Motor Guzzi V11 Lemans. Affectionately known as lemons, just because they're temperamental Italians doesn't necessarily make them bad.

:angry::biggrin: thoroughbred but tempermental eh!? sounds like Mrs peanut's horses:biggrin::biggrin:

Leadlegs

onlyhuman,

I’ve mapped out routes on mapmyride.com and found it to be a useful toy, but it has its limitations. When it comes to measuring gradients I think that the resolution isn’t fine enough to be fully accurate, that is also reflected in the total ascent calc which seems to always be on the low side.

Other than that I like it.

I have a rule of thumb for working out how hard a ride is going to be. I simply divide the height climbed in metres by the distance travelled in kilometres. This gives me an index number that is an indication of how intense the route is. All I then have to decide is if I think that I can manage the distance.

Over a period of time I’ve also noticed that (unsurprisingly) my average speed for a route trends along with the intensity, but in the opposite direction – the more intense, the less speed.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

Hi Leadlegs,

That sounds like what I was looking for, an index number, I'll give it a try, thanks.

jimboalee

haggard rider said:
I still use "proper" maps - it's easy to tell tough by how close the contour lines are and the proliferation of chevrons.

If you haven't got the OS 25,000 for the area, it's on streetmap.co.uk

Top Bottom