How can this bike work ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fab Foodie said:
Let me know the secret of your sucess :tongue:

Eating less...

Dull, but true. I've very gradually trained myself to smaller portions and fewer snacks. And I've done more long rides this summer, hopefully without calorie compensating too much.

It's very slow - probably less than a stone since last Christmas, but it's a fairly consistent decrease, and my old jeans are getting distinctly baggy.

If I can shift another stone, and stay there, I'll be happy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Arch said:
Eating less...

Dull, but true. I've very gradually trained myself to smaller portions and fewer snacks. And I've done more long rides this summer, hopefully without calorie compensating too much.

It's very slow - probably less than a stone since last Christmas, but it's a fairly consistent decrease, and my old jeans are getting distinctly baggy.

If I can shift another stone, and stay there, I'll be happy.

Well done Arch.
After the Bank Hols I'm going to embark on a serious weight reduction plan... on the beach this summer people constantly doused me with water and tried to roll me back into the sea... I've had enough of being fat.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Cheddar George said:
It looks the same set up as for a chain drive. A good shout from bikepete, i had never considered how you would remove/fit a continuous belt on a bike.

How does a belt break open to remove it? Is there a linkage like a chain link somewhere?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fab Foodie said:
Well done Arch.
After the Bank Hols I'm going to embark on a serious weight reduction plan... on the beach this summer people constantly doused me with water and tried to roll me back into the sea... I've had enough of being fat.

Well, my way has been slow, but easy enough. Just stopping to think about the size of a portion of spaghetti alone - I now have about half what I used to, because I realised I was cooking enough for two or more, and because I like spaghetti, eating the lot. So I just trimmed the portion gradually.

Also, being on an economy drive has helped. A tin of tuna that I'd eat in one meal now lasts for two, etc. I realise now just how much I did overeat before.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sittingduck said:
What's the attraction of these belt drive thingys?

Mainly I think, the lack of an oily chain, which many non-cyclists regard with horror, or at least marketing people think they do. There seems to be an idea that it will always leap off and eat your trousers, or leave your hands lookig like you done a shift down the pit.

From what I understand, belts work ok, but chains are more efficient at the human scale of pedalling. And if you don't want to have hastle with them, you get a hub gear and a full chaincase, and never get it mucky anyway.

just jim

Isn't that bloke, you know, what's his name? Fella cycling round the world. He's belt driven.

Top Bottom