How come everyone likes....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now the Matrix, everyone seems to rave about. I've attempted to watch it more than 10 times and just can't get more than 5 minutes in before I find something more important to do/fall asleep. I've recorded it at least 3 times as well as hiring it from Blockbusters the first time I tried to watch it.

So someone who likes it, please tell me why?

I've got all three Matrix films, and similiar to NT, I find the concept original although things do go a bit weird in the last one.

Just remember though, next time to experience deja vu, it's really a glitch in the Matrix.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So someone who likes it, please tell me why?

I liked the original a lot. The other two were pretty dire though (although my expectations for the second were high)

I liked it because it played into the theme of its era, I was gettting into the whole "online" thing at that time and the concept that life itself was actually some large online dreamstate was intriguing.

The "reveal" in the third act was a fantastic bit of storytelling. I also think the camera work (bullet-time) was a real first in mainstream cinema and as such gave the film an original look and feel. That camera work/trick (with loops of 35mmm cams all operated from a CPU) is still being perfected today.

Casting was poor...I think Reeves was mis-cast as was Fishburne, who I always generally find unconvincing but in this role he was woefully failing as the "charismatic and respected leader" (how good would Denzel Washingon had been in that role)

BSRU

A Human Being
I liked the original a lot. The other two were pretty dire though (although my expectations for the second were high)

I liked it because it played into the theme of its era, I was gettting into the whole "online" thing at that time and the concept that life itself was actually some large online dreamstate was intriguing.

The "reveal" in the third act was a fantastic bit of storytelling. I also think the camera work (bullet-time) was a real first in mainstream cinema and as such gave the film an original look and feel. That camera work/trick (with loops of 35mmm cams all operated from a CPU) is still being perfected today.

Casting was poor...I think Reeves was mis-cast as was Fishburne, who I always generally find unconvincing but in this role he was woefully failing as the "charismatic and respected leader" (how good would Denzel Washingon had been in that role)
Was it no meant to be Will Smith instead of Reeves but he was too busy.
The first one is ok but the second two seemed to have been written very hastily.

caimg

Über Member
Vic Reeves was in Matrix? I've never seen it, but from the clips I have seen that does sound like a bit of miscasting.

He's the only one with the power to coax down the dove from above, I'm pretty sure Keanu can't do that cos he struggles to even deliver the simplest of lines...

Maz

Guru
I laugh out loud at short comedies like episodes of The Three Stooges (the ones with Curly, Larry and Mo, but not the ones with Shemp). Totally farcical, outrageously stupid violence and very surreal!

Maz

Guru
I challenge you not to laugh watching "Calling All Curs" - It is just mental! :laugh:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I suppose there will be some (sad) people who don't like Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Most do, some won't.

I'm afraid I'm one of those whose palate is too refined for Ben & Jerry's. Their policy when it comes to inventing new flavours seems to be to chuck the kitchen sink at the ice cream machine, then drown it in a diabetes-inducing quantity of sugar. Yuck.

d.

asterix

Comrade Member
Talking of hype..

Having watched 'Titanic' years ago (when it came out) I've now watched 'A Night to Remember' on Blu-ray.

It astonishes me how much 'Titanic' owes to the latter which IMO is a far superior film yet gets a meagre half a point more on IMDB.

Well, I really don't understand why people like the Beatles. I fully understand their place in music history. But they really were just awful, the music amateurish, bland and insipid.
They are now a myth that is continually perpetuated by the music press at how wonderful they were. By Beatles Nazi's that will simply not have it that someone could dislike the band. It's ok to dislike the Stones & Elvis etc, but not the precious Beatles. 'if it wasn't for the Beatles... blah blah blah'
So do me a favour just let them them die and be forgotten for gawds sake, relegated to the dusty back pages of Record Collector mag.

Altogether now.. 'We all live in a Yellow Submarine'

Cack.. cack.. and more overrated cack.

Or as mother said when Lennon got shot, "One down, three to go."

Top Bottom