How come everyone likes....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Which one is Minorty Report, is that the one where he is a teenager left alone in his house for the weekend, gets a job as a jet fighter polit and ends up pouring cocktails in a local bar?
you forgot the bit where he turns into a vampire and drives stock cars.

Noodley

you forgot the bit where he turns into a vampire and drives stock cars.

A yes, that's Sunday...I was only thinking of the Saturday.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I liked Minority Report. Apart from the scene with the fridge and the sandwich.xx(

The one I can't get is eXistenZ which all the critics love. It's the only film I have ever wanted to walk out of but the friend I was with said that it was so bad we can't leave without knowing how they end it. He was right - I think it probably has the corniest last line in movie history. If you have seen the Red Dwarf episode "Better Than Life" you have seen the better version of the story.

Conversely; there are two films that I love which bombed at the box office and which the critics consistently pan. These are "Bullshot" (very silly spoof of the Bulldog Drummond stories) and "Without A Clue" (daft Sherlock Holmes spoof with Michael Caine & Ben Kingsley).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Minority report was a good short story by Philip K. Dick made into a hollywood blockbuster. The idea behind it was good so I can see why some people would like it as well as the fans. The actual quality of weaving the story into a film though was very average. Re-read both that and Do Androids dream of electric sheep? recently.

ASC1951

Guru
I use IMDB religiously to check out movies before recording them for later viewing. Last night I got round to watching Minority Report, recorded a fortnight or so ago on the basis of a 7.9 rating, and couldn't believe what a steaming pile of cack it was. Just piss poor in almost every way.
I think 'piss poor' is a bit harsh - it's just standard Hollywood fodder, improved by a good basic idea and some atmospheric sets. Samantha Morton was memorable as one of the pre-cogs. As for Tom Cruise, I'm not sure whether he really can't act or whether the studios only let him play characters so unappealing that I always want to punch them on the nose.

IMDb is a reasonable starting point, IME, once you factor in that noisy action-led drivel is marked up and anything with subtitles is marked down. If IMDb reckons something is pants it usually is; and I find that anything below 7/10 will be a waste of a ticket.

Ethan

I don't know why people enjoyed Avatar so much.
It was poo, and the 3d-ness of it was its only redeeming feature. Even the novelty of that has long left me.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Well, I really don't understand why people like the Beatles. I fully understand their place in music history. But they really were just awful, the music amateurish, bland and insipid.
They are now a myth that is continually perpetuated by the music press at how wonderful they were. By Beatles Nazi's that will simply not have it that someone could dislike the band. It's ok to dislike the Stones & Elvis etc, but not the precious Beatles. 'if it wasn't for the Beatles... blah blah blah'
So do me a favour just let them them die and be forgotten for gawds sake, relegated to the dusty back pages of Record Collector mag.

Altogether now.. 'We all live in a Yellow Submarine'

Cack.. cack.. and more overrated cack.
That's because you've got no soul.

And this is evidenced by you going immediately for one annoying song out of the hundreds and hundreds of world-class songs they made. They were uniquely talented but then I suppose there will be some (sad) people who don't like Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Most do, some won't.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Moulin Rouge had good reviews at its release. It was the only film I have walked out of part way through as it was utter rubbish IMO.

However, each to our own, I would happily sit through the Mad Max films back to back, same with the Alien series, The Matrix series, Terminator series, and Shrek.
I would also quite happily spend an evening watching old B/W films on clearing snow and digging tunnels on the railways, or WD films on how to recover stranded tanks with a Scammell Pioneer during WW2.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I don't know why people enjoyed Avatar so much.
It was poo, and the 3d-ness of it was its only redeeming feature. Even the novelty of that has long left me.

yep, the original was far better. I think Costner played it well given his limited range.

that said, the spectacle of Avatar was something worth seeing at the big screen so I wasn't disappointed with that...but its still just "Dances with Smurf's" in my mind

martint235

Dog on a bike
I didn't mind Minority Report, it was ok to watch. Now the Matrix, everyone seems to rave about. I've attempted to watch it more than 10 times and just can't get more than 5 minutes in before I find something more important to do/fall asleep. I've recorded it at least 3 times as well as hiring it from Blockbusters the first time I tried to watch it.

So someone who likes it, please tell me why?

I did manage to watch the Wizard of Oz all the way through last Xmas for the very first time. SWMBO was stunned that I had no idea what happened after the Lion, Scarecrow and tin man joined Dorothy or why I didn't get flying monkey jokes.

BSRU

A Human Being
nah, just watch the film...directors cut tho (i don't need Harrison Ford to explain every flippin scene for me).

Love the "tears in rain" scene...classic
We just brought our audio visual equipment into the 21st century and the first Blu-Ray film I watched in glorious HD was BladeRunner, absolutely fantastic.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Now the Matrix, everyone seems to rave about.

So someone who likes it, please tell me why?
Some of the fighting scenes are good fun. The concept, if you can get your head around it, seems to work really well despite some slight difficulties. It is also challenging our concept of reality and who we really are.

I watch it to try and spot any inconsistencies in the story line or to work out how some connections are made.
Granted, it isn't everyone's :cuppa:

Top Bottom