How cool is that folding bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Coming out of Oxford railway station this afternoon, carrying my folded up Brompton, I heard a teenage girl say to her friends, "How cool is that bike?" I'm pretty sure it was a rhetorical question; she wasn't really asking their opinion. How about that then? Teenage girls think Bromptons are cool :tongue:

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Sarcasm perhaps? :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
packing the van after a long and tiring tryout roadshow, at the end of a very long and tiring week on tour, I was just undoing the frame clamp on a Pashley Micro (standard fold in half type folder) when a kid on a BSO stopped and said "That's a crap bike".

"Oh", said I, "well, yours isn't up to much, but I'm too polite to say so", and I folded the Pashley.

"ohhh", he said, "that's one of them cool bikes!"

"So why did you say it was crap?"

"I didn't!"

"Yes you did". Whereupon I walk away, and he's left, mouth open, trying to compute whether to be impressed or not.:smile:

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I used to like the Pashley Micro. It was a nice looking bike. Originally it was made by someone else though IIRC.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yellow Fang said:
I used to like the Pashley Micro. It was a nice looking bike. Originally it was made by someone else though IIRC.

Yes, it was the Cresswell Fold-it. (I remembered the Fold-It bit, had to look up Cresswell)

I was riding one in York once, and a small child tugged his father's hand and said, very loudly "look at that man on his tiny bike!" The father looked a bit embarrassed.

I'm a woman....

mr Mag00

rising member
they dont do much for me either

I was just folding my Brommie outside the shops today when a Chav rode past (with his mate) on a Halfords Special shouting 'cor, I want one ov dose' and then laughing.....I shouted back 'I wouldn't want one of those'. He looked a bit miffed, dunno why.......

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
My Brompton's had the cool comment from teenagers (particularly my 15yo female neighbour) loads of times. It's always surprised me that the youngsters would find something a lot of +40yo's ride cool.

Jugular

I've had a few comments of admiration. Certianly "that's one of those wicked bikes" but I've had just open laughter and pointing a few times too. I've seen a couple of Brompton's about in Manchester but it's still an unusual sight apparently.

kit-small-wheels

My recently purchased APB Land-Rover is referred to as 'The Meccano Bike' by my wife and her friends!

I'm not sure if that's demeaning or appreciative, but I don't care that much. It certainly stops people walking by when it's parked up, and I've had numerous conversations about it as a result.

buddha

Veteran
I had a teenage girl say my rack was cool, outside Sainsburys.:laugh:
Though I think she meant how the Topeak panniers slide and click/lock in place:sad:

Top Bottom