How Dangerous Is Cycling?

When was the last time you were involved in an accident, potentially out of your control, which left

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I got left hooked by a taxi driver that was signalling right last year, conclusion? I went straight into the passenger door at 20mph. Front wheel was a right off and had some bruising.

I had an off at 0mph at the train station during that awful winter, it was black ice. Went to set off and bang, back wheel went right, front wheel stayed in place.

Almost had an off in the same winter, on black ice at speed and the result was me walking the final 2 miles home, wasn't chancing that one.

My final off was again at 0mph, arriving at miss fluffies after work and went to dismount, I missed the ground with my foot and over I went, this was silly but it had been a monsoon rain and I was soaked and annoyed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you were to read this forum you would generally get the idea that every motorist drives like a plank and that the roads are a very dangeous and hospitible place.

My general experience has been somewhat different. I do get the occasional idiot, but a lot of the time it is due to their bad driving practices that have crept in over the years. This is where I would see the value of additional driver training over the course of a drivers driving career.

No that I'm disagreeing with you ... but I saw a piece on the news this week about how some of the driver training can actually increase the rates of accidents. They suggested the outcome of many driver training schemes was that there was an increase in confidence in their ability, thus increasing the number of accidents on the road. The example they gave to back this up was skid pan training - that afterwards the driver felt they were better able to deal with the consequences of a skid so drove faster in conditions when a skid might be possible.

I've been thinking over this abit and whether it applies to cycling as well in some respects - that I think I can become complacent with my abilities and maybe take more risks because I think I have relatively quick reactions.

If that is the case how do we loose this over-confidence without loosing some of the benefits of training.

Actually, you remind me I had another off - I slipped on a patch of ice where a leak had frozen on the bus lane. I would have avoided it, but someone had fallen in front of me, so I was stopping to help them :facepalm:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
It's been over 20 years since I had an accident caused by someone else. :whistle:

Plonker and GF pulled out of a side road to my right busy looking at the special offers in a supermarket window. I ran into the back of them as I was negotiating a bend at the time here. Car came from Horsefair Green and Waremart was a supermarket then. I was were the google car is when he shot out. He then pulled away only to slam his brakes on after I complained. So I ran into him again before he shot off never to be seen again (if only that were true). Only been left hooked once in 1977 in Sunderland.
Perhaps as I am more aware of what drivers are likely to do as I'm one of them now or I've just been very lucky.
I try not to let girlfriend see this site as she I'm trying to get her into cycling. She is very nervous as has never had a bike until last last Christmas and has only been out on it 4 times.

Midnight

I had a serious accident in 2005 - fractured skull, bike was a write-off. I was t-boned at a junction by a car who's driver admitted all responsibility, and the whole incident was totally beyond my control.

I've never driven, so cycling has always been my preferred form of transport, and in around 35 years of cycling this is the only 'accident' I've had (I've come off in bad weather a couple of times, but I don't class these as accidents). I can't be bothered to guess-timate how many miles I've done in that time, but one accident in 35 years is not a significant risk IMO.

When you share the roads with motorised traffic there will always be a risk, but if you observe good practice and ride defensively then that risk is manageable, and acceptable to me. Given the thousands who are killed on the roads in non-cycling accidents as opposed to the hundred or so cyclists who are killed, I'd be more concerned when travelling in a vehicle than on a bike.

I've also been a passenger on a bus that was hit by another bus, but how many of us would consider public transport to be unsafe?

Ah, you see I haven't included slips and falls. I've had a few of those. Let me see....5 I think in just over 5 years. Either on ice,, a slippy surface, or one where my wheel caught in a pothole just as I started. Iin only two of them did I have any scrapes or cuts.

A fall in heavy traffic could be serious. None of these have been in heavy traffic.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
My 3 offs in the past 15 years have been 1 x diesel and 2 x ice which did not include anyone else. I do not include the off at Manchester velodrome last year which was my fault :blush: .

ferret fur

The problem is that perceptions of safety are all relative. Cycling is or is not safe relative to what? For me personally I do think it is riskier than any other form of transport except motorcycling, but it is not so unsafe that I'm going to stop riding 5000 miles a year. Therefore cycling is 'safe' to the extent that I am willing to continue doing it. In aviation there is a scheme by which you have to report any incident which endagered an aircraft or if not corrected would have endagered an aircraft. Using that criterion cycling is highly dangerous. I think it is fair to say that I am involved in all sorts of incidents on a daily basis which as a cyclist I have to take action to avoid. That is why cycling seems relatively risky to me. The near misses and the need to pay attention all the time are what I notice as risk.

marzjennings

Legendary Member
Something happens on almost every ride and it's a rare day I don't come home bleeding somewhere (though usually just a scratch from a thorny bush). So cuts and bruises on me are common and damage to the bike, scuffed grips, pedals and saddles, slighlty less common, maybe every 5th ride. I'll crack a helmet every year or so, rip gloves to pieces, shorts to shreds. Twist rims, ding the frame. All in the name of fun and still a lot less painful than playing rugby. But this is mountain biking, not roadie stuff.

On the road it's been a few years since my last serious crash (snapped chain major road rash) and I ran into the back of van that pulled out in front of me last year, no damage to bike, bruise to shoulder, statisfying dent in van door. Had a entanglement of riders during a training ride which led to some harsh words and bent spokes. I'd say something serious happens every 2 years or so (which means I'm due this year) and nothing else, no minor stuff on the road.

Touch wood, I've only been involved in 1 potentially more serious accident and that was my fault and I hopefully won't repeat that mistake. I say potentially because I escaped from it with just loosing one tooth and a scar over the eye, the taxi was a bit of a mess though. I could claim it was a right off but it was getting scrapped the next day anyway. Ive only had 2 bad smidys that have come to a stop just inches from my leg (apparently they don't give way at rbts), unfortunately these were outwith my control. I ve only had a couple of drivers intentionally come at me it seems more prevaillent in other areas judging from posts. The other couple of impacts I've had have been low speed so whilst unpleasant at the time On the whole though given my exposure (miles cycled/ time spent on the bike) I don't feel its any more dangerous than crossing the road/ or driving (the latter might be more dangerous if arteries harden etc, due to lack of exercise.

Midnight

O.k., Slips and Falls -

Came off in 2006 when going round a tight right-hander at 20mph in heavy rain. There was so much rain on the road I didn't spot two drain covers right on the apex. Back wheel shot out and head hit my (helmeted) head on the kurb - grazed elbow and black eye, in a quiet side road with no other traffic. My fault because I was going too fast for the conditions. Only come off on two other occasions on black ice - once in the bad winter of '77 on my paper round at 6:30 am, and again in Jan of this year at walking pace on a shared cycle/pedestrian path outside a supermarket.

Last time I had an accident was back in 98 when a lorry took a left hand bend too close to me. Was forced to ride about 1cm from the kerb at the end and count myself lucky it had side bars!! Had my jacket literally ripped off my back by said side bars and was a little shaken up. When I'd recovered (took a minute or two) I'd wished I'd set off in pursuit straight away. With the adrenaline rush I think I could have caught him and expressed my displeasure!

It could have been much, much worse but it wasn't and I'm still riding today. Apart from the odd idiot who seems to take delight in stopping cyclist freedom of movement (easily spotted and avoided) most people on my route seem reasonable courteous and I try to be the same. One bad driver will not put me off doing something I enjoy!

Top Bottom