How difficult is it to Build a Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris.IOW

So, I'm chatting to a friend in the Pub on Friday about my wish for a new bike and some of the options I've been looking at, and he say's 'Why not build one yourself?'

Now initially I laughed and called him crazy, but since then I've been thinking about it more and more, the idea of selecting a frame, doing lots of research on components etc is starting to appeal, It would be a great winter project and the thought of turning up at the first sportive of next year with a bike I built is very cool.

Also I guess there is no better way to learn more about maintenance then to build the thing yourself!

So how difficult is it? Whilst I'm not about to apply to be a mechanic on a pro team I know a bit about how a bike works, and I'm fairly competant with a spanner. :biggrin: I'd need a few new tools I'm sure but that would just be a bonus.

Is it do-able?

Thanks

aberal

Veteran
It's easily doable in theory if you are technically minded. In practice there are dozens of hidden compatibility issues between various components that need a good deal of research and a certain amount of know how.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
It's pretty easy...providing you do your research (i.e., compatibility issues - I was nearly caught out by the BB30 on the Sempre frame)! I've just built up a Bianchi Sempre with Ultegra groupset and RS80s for less than I would pay for the 105 specced version with Fulcrum 5s. For example, I thought about buying the 105 version but would probably upgrade the FSA cranks, FSA brakes and certainly the Fulcrum 5s. By building I've a bike specced it exactly to my requirements without going through the hassle of flogging the bits I didn't like.

Another point to consider. You can build bike "under the radar" of your other half. By gradually acquiring bits and pieces over time, the cost is likely to be less noticeable!

Also, you may need to invest in some more tools (e.g., headset press and bearing brushings if you get a new BB30 frame).

In summary, it can be a bit of a worry buying all the components but providing you do thorough research (and are mechanically minded) it's a really enjoyable experience.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's not that hard, but you need a decent set of cycle tools and some cable cutters, if you only do one build then it costs too much.

Take the Triban 3 Decathlon Road Bike

Has a Shimano 2300 groupset with a Prowheel Ounce Triple chainset, Alloy frame and carbon fork, dual pivot brakes, double wall alloy rims., alloy bars and stem etc...

They sell all this for £300, to source and build this yourself from parts would probably cost £500

If you want a custom set of parts for a specific need then it's worth it, but for normal use it's cheaper to buy off the shelf.

For maintenance just buy an old £40 road bike, strip and rebuild it (it's amazing what a clean lube adjust can do), then if you make a mistake it ain't gonna hurt too much

on the road

Über Member
It's very easy. If you don't want any compatibility issues then you'll want to make sure you get a drivetrain of the same name from the same manufacturer. And you might want to invest in a caliper, doesn't have to be expensive, a cheap one will do.

zigzag

Veteran
it's easy to build a "standard" bike, but if you want a personalised and customised bike then it takes time to research all the options, pros and cons. it's good fun though and teaches you something.

OP
OP
Chris.IOW

Chris.IOW

Another point to consider. You can build bike "under the radar" of your other half.

That's sneaky...I like it!!

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone, I wasn't aware of the compatibility issues particularly so will do some more research and careful planning before going any further. Still quite tempted by the idea though.

samid

Veteran
It is doable. Just make sure you carefully ensure that the components you pick are compatible - again, with internet that should not be a problem. You also will need to decide where to draw the line and resort to LBS versus having to buy (or DIY) and learn to use specialized tools such as a headset press. But it is great fun and very satisfying. Go for it.

samid

Veteran
The main compatibility issues really are Shimano and Campag, the two don't go together (being rivals).

I am not that familiar with modern components, but with older stuff there are things like stem clamp and seatpost diameters varying by a .2mm or so, and so on - and not only between Campy and Shimano. For instance, the Reynolds 753 tubeset of my F W Evans is "metric" sized - which meant that clamps of most front mechs were a little too big - easily fixed though with a shim cut from an old tube. It is not rocket science, but one needs to pay attention and sometimes be creative.

frank9755

Cyclist
it's easy to build a "standard" bike, but if you want a personalised and customised bike then it takes time to research all the options, pros and cons. it's good fun though and teaches you something.

This is true!

I'm no great mechanic but I specc'd and built my own bike. I've also upgraded a 30-year old bike to modern-ish parts to use as my go-anywhere machine, which was far harder to do.

The standard stuff is very much a case of bolting bits together but it is good to know how it all works and that you have just what you wanted on the bike. The non-standard stuff is very satisfying! In my case it is that I fitted extra-low gears, so it is great at the end of a 600km ride to be able to flick onto my 26T chainring and spin up a steep hill while others are having to stand up and grind.

chewy

I'd check out a cheap bike from a recycle centre, or one from a mates hedge and strip that down and make good (re-paint frame too if you really want to go for it) as a trail as you will spend little on it and probably sell it for a small profit whilst learning a few things, over coming problems and generally seeing if you like the idea!

If halfway through you think 'sod it' you can bin it at little cost. If you want to do more, you can order your bike work stand!

Top Bottom