How do I compare the gearing of these two bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
<br /><br /><br />

Methinks you had best ask gaz about his 'assumptions'

I stated gear inch, which converts gearing into what size a penny farthing wheel would have to be to achieve the same gearing. It's a much simpler way of looking at gearing and you don't need to take into account as many things.

However you stated gear ratio but to be sure about which one will be 'faster' you need to take into account wheel size, tyre size and crank length. It's a much harder way to compare the gearing of two bicycles.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Lowest and highest gear inch for each bike
Cannondale
lowest - 37.8
highest 100.7

Boardman
lowest - 35.7
highest - 119.5

The boardman has the lowest and highest gear of the two, but maybe not the better range.
top at 100.7..........that's pretty low. Having said that, 119.5 is really high.

albion

Guru
I'll certainly stick with simple maths ratios if you don't mind.So for hills its 1 which is 1 turn of pedals = 1 turn of wheel.Below 1 = granny gear.
4.5 is a high gear and when there is an adjustment to something like 5, its very quick easy to comprehend.

I'm sure many club racers find this instantly sufficient.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I stated gear inch, which converts gearing into what size a penny farthing wheel would have to be to achieve the same gearing. It's a much simpler way of looking at gearing and you don't need to take into account as many things.

However you stated gear ratio but to be sure about which one will be 'faster' you need to take into account wheel size, tyre size and crank length. It's a much harder way to compare the gearing of two bicycles.

You fail to take into account the most crucial difference - What colours are the bikes?? :biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'll certainly stick with simple maths ratios if you don't mind.So for hills its 1 which is 1 turn of pedals = 1 turn of wheel.Below 1 = granny gear.
4.5 is a high gear and when there is an adjustment to something like 5, its very quick easy to comprehend.

I'm sure many club racers find this instantly sufficient.

Whilst gear ratios are easy to understand and work out. It is very hard to use them to compare which bike has the highest and lowest gear. As you need to take into account crank length, wheel size and tyre size.

albion

Guru
Obviously if you are using something like 29ers there are more factors to consider.

And with crank length we are getting into two scenarios. One being revolutions and other other circumference.

Circumference hits yet another scenario which of course is shoe sole depth. I'm not quite cranky enough to consider that.

screenman

Legendary Member
Now I am confused, why should crank length effect gear ratio? Whilst the length of the lever (crank) may change the power needed to turn the gear surely it cannot change the ratio.

Must admit I am still a measured in inches or metre's type of guy.

GrasB

Veteran
albion, As you failed to answer my question about 650 v's 700c wheels I'm assuming you don't know how to reference the gearing to a different wheel size. This is actually becoming more important with the slow decline of the 650c standard with competition bikes moving to 700c & other factors pushing towards narrow 26" rims moving across wheel sizes has become more important.

Gear inches are used almost universally for gearing notation of a bike because it gives an absolute figure on the gear. In mathematical terms you're simply multiplying your beloved gear ratio by the wheel diameter. Hardly complicated of difficult to comprehend, in fact it's easier for the human brain to comprehend a dimensioned number rather than a dimensionless one as it brings in a physical reference.

FYI If the pedal spindle is moving at 1.5m/s there is nothing that the depth of the sole can do which means your foot moves faster or slower than 1.5m/s, it just moves its centre relative to the BB centre line.

screenman, it effect how much power you can put into the pedals at a given rpm. You see power actually references foot speed not cadence. On any given day regardless of what length I'm using I will always produce the same amount of power for the same muscular effort level at a given pedal speed be it 98rpm on 175mm cranks or 107.5rpm on 160mm cranks. If I keep the gearing inches the same this means the road speed at which that power is produced changes.

As an example say we have a petrol engined & a diesel engined car & both produce 200bhp at 100mph in top gear & both red line at 150mph. The petrol engine revs to 7500 & the diesel revs to 5000rpm. If we swapped the gear boxes over the petrol car would be producing 200bhp at 150mph & red line at 225mph the diesel would be producing 200bhp at 67mph & red lining at 100mph.

albion

Guru
A bit of a tangent considering the question.So where's the rotating inertia, drag affect and rolling resistance?

aberal

Guru
You could work yourself into a state of total bamboozlement with gear ratios. It's sufficient to know what the high and low gears are - the rest is all scientific bollox. F'rinstance - Mark Cavendish uses 53-39 at the front and a 11-23 at the back. I, who cannot be compared cycling-wise to Mark Cavendish in any shape or form, being 52 unfit and overweight, use a 52-42-30 (triple) at the front and a 12-25 at the rear. Mark's setup gets him hitting 40mph+ on the flat and over several Alps. My setup has only allowed me to spin out once in my life, (on a huge downhill in the hills above Balmoral) and will get me ploddingly up every hill up every hill I have ever encountered. I care not one whit about tyre width or cranks etc - it matters not.

GrasB

Veteran
A bit of a tangent considering the question.So where's the rotating inertia, drag affect and rolling resistance?
Under the section labelled drag & rolling resistance.

F'rinstance - Mark Cavendish uses 53-39 at the front and a 11-23 at the back... ...Mark's setup gets him hitting 40mph+ on the flat and over several Alps.
Really HTC didn't do what other pro-teams did & actually vary the gearing to suit the terrain? I know for a fact that teams are using wide ratio cassettes & compact chainsets (possibly even combining them) on the lumper stages of races.

You could work yourself into a state of total bamboozlement with gear ratios. It's sufficient to know what the high and low gears are - the rest is all scientific bollox.... ...My setup has only allowed me to spin out once in my life, (on a huge downhill in the hills above Balmoral) and will get me ploddingly up every hill up every hill I have ever encountered. I care not one whit about tyre width or cranks etc - it matters not.
Depends what you want to do & your motivations. Though I was demonstrating with the high end gearing getting the positioning of gears right makes much more sense in the mid-range where you spend most of your time. This is where getting the positioning of your chainrings right makes a lot of difference, depending on your goals anyway - the more performance orientated you are the more you want that area to be right.

Top Bottom