How do I fix a rattling bottle mount insert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dayma

After 13 years ownership of a Condor Squadra I have finally found the cause of a minute rattle and I need your advice on how to fix

The aluminium frame has inserts into the frame that contain the thread - it’s this insert that is slightly loose and even when the bottle cage allen key bolt is fully tightened there is a minuscule amount of play - hence the rattle !

I have previously repaired a striped rear mudguard eyelets with a helicoil kit that worked a dream

Question is I’m not sure the heli kit ( M5x0.8) will work with the insert as once the whole is drilled the insert will fall out and helicoil will be too small

What options do I have ?

CXRAndy

Guru
After 13 years ownership of a Condor Squadra I have finally found the cause of a minute rattle and I need your advice on how to fix

The aluminium frame has inserts into the frame that contain the thread - it’s this insert that is slightly loose and even when the bottle cage allen key bolt is fully tightened there is a minuscule amount of play - hence the rattle !

I have previously repaired a striped rear mudguard eyelets with a helicoil kit that worked a dream

Question is I’m not sure the heli kit ( M5x0.8) will work with the insert as once the whole is drilled the insert will fall out and helicoil will be too small

What options do I have ?

Epoxy around the fixing will sort it. You can get Araldite Steel, bonds metals like rock

robgul

Legendary Member
The insert is very probably a "Rivnut" - that's inserted like a pop-rivet but instead of the pin that breaks off, the special tool (like a pair of pliers) has a threaded rod that goes in the insert and "crushes" the end inside the frame - and is then unscrewed to give you the bottle boss.

Three possibililities IME:

1 Use a rivnut tool to give the insert a bit more of a squeeze
2 Using a bottle cage bolt and gripping the flange of the insert with needle-nose pliers you MAY be able to tighten the insert (i.e. as the Rivnut tool) (in other words tighten the bolt while you grip the insert and the bolt will probably squeeze the insert tight)
3 Superglue squirted very sparingly under the fange of the insert.

Rob

Google Rivnut to see what I mean!

OP
OP
D

dayma

Thanks Rob and Andy - def worth considering - could I also think about using an M6 helicoil kit ?

the snail

Guru
The insert is very probably a "Rivnut" - that's inserted like a pop-rivet but instead of the pin that breaks off, the special tool (like a pair of pliers) has a threaded rod that goes in the insert and "crushes" the end inside the frame - and is then unscrewed to give you the bottle boss.

Three possibililities IME:

1 Use a rivnut tool to give the insert a bit more of a squeeze
2 Using a bottle cage bolt and gripping the flange of the insert with needle-nose pliers you MAY be able to tighten the insert (i.e. as the Rivnut tool) (in other words tighten the bolt while you grip the insert and the bolt will probably squeeze the insert tight)
3 Superglue squirted very sparingly under the fange of the insert.

Rob

Google Rivnut to see what I mean!
Another way is to put a nut+washer onto a screw, insert the screw into the rivnut, then tighten the nut while holding the screw

OP
OP
D

dayma

Thanks - I also seen a quick release being used - parktool have a set of instructions - if that fails I have also seen the option of file the collar , punch out the rivnut and install a new one

OP
OP
D

dayma

Excuse for a new bike?
That’s so true - it was my original thought after 3 separate visits to bike shops and a rebuild of my campagnolo levers

Going to follow dicky knees video this eve and report back

D

Deleted member 26715

Another way is to put a nut+washer onto a screw, insert the screw into the rivnut, then tighten the nut while holding the screw
you need to put at least 1 washer under the nut otherwise it will try to spin the rivent

Top Bottom